1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World Of Warcraft Has Better Looking Environments Then WildStar?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Cassius101, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius101

Cassius101 New Cupcake

This is the only thing I don't like about this MMO and it might be the reason I won't buy it. I just place a lot of value on how the game world looks and comparing WildStar to WoW (as a former wow player who might go back to it), WoW's world just looks so much better. WildStar does have better NPC/Player models but the world does not look as good, WoW has so much more detail, something that WildStars World lacks. When you play WoW on the best graphics setting with HDR and the graphics macro it can look pretty good.

See for yourself.
    http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2013/03/wildstar.jpg

http://cdn.sheeparcade.com/resources/mmo/images/screenshots/wildstar-online_2.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/314/7/1/winterspring_background_by_aeirana-d4fqyhx.jpg

These screenshots do not have HDR or the graphics Macro on.

http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/cataclysm/beta/durotar_05.jpg

I would say the graphics for the game worlds are about the same but WoW has more details for their game world. WildStars game world looks plain in my opinion. The trees and snow is just so clear , their are no fine details in anything, everything is just one pure color.
  2. thrastorm7

thrastorm7 Cupcake-About-Town

Erm... ok i won't comment...

3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Think you need better WoW pics, because the skyline looks awesome in those Wildstar pics, while it looks lackluster in the WoW pics. They are kinda pressing down on the viewer and the effect is claustrophobic, especially for Winterspring.

The details for Pandaria zones are pretty, but to the point of cluttered when compared with Wildstar video snapshots. I once said comparing the two is like comparing acrylic to watercolor brush strokes. I still think so.

Got 3 of each showing as a placeholder slider at the top on my work in progress wordpress project - needed something pretty too look at while I work on the theme and game screenshots is a small hobby, though I could only get my hands on video snapshots from Wildstar :notworthy:
    Kookieduck and Irimii like this.
  4. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure how you can compare a game that has a graphic's engine that is over eight years old (that has been optimized and has everything turned on) to a game that has a graphics engine that's relatively new and powering a game that isn't even out yet (or for that matter not fully optimized or with all graphic options turned on...).
  5. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

GOOBY PLS!
  6. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

They're too similar looking, imo.

Esp Deradune and Durotar/Barrens.

But I wouldn't say better-looking, no. :p
    Daynejah likes this.
  7. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

I personally disagree. Wildstar's environments looking "plain" has to do with the way it is styled. WoW is similar to Wildstar in graphics, but Wildstar leans much more towards stylized games like Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank (in it's PS2 days)where textures may often be one solid color and hold less detail.
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Sorry, but the "detail" looks better to me in Wildstar. The sky was already mentioned, which has more in it, but the building also look more detailed. I don't see how Wildstar has less in it either. You can take pics all over WoW that are barren looking, like in, The Barrens!
    Kookieduck likes this.
  9. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

They are about the same.
  10. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Wildstar > Worn Out Warcraft
  11. Irimii

Irimii Cupcake

[​IMG]

Continuing from my last post....Submitted too early.

This is only true for some areas of the environment like the rocks, areas where grass is shorter, and the snow. There is still a lot of detail to be found in Wildstar and I think a lot more then WoW, which even on high settings still contains objects with jagged edges, and flat low-res textures. Wildstar looks much more smoother, full of color, grass here looks incredibly lush and detailed, and the lighting in the game really pulls everything together.
    [​IMG]
  12. M3sar

M3sar New Cupcake

OP
    I think I understand what your are trying to say. Environment in WOW was always considered to be one of the best in a themepark style game.​
    Not only that, the devs are constantly upgrading the engine, implementing new effects and that also shows when looking at the environment. So yeah for its age... wow looks fantastic
    Unfortunately there are situations where you can see the engine showing its age. The most noticeable thing is the low polycount of the 3D objects.​

What I dont understand is why did you use some small pics to represents WildStar's graphycs. If you were a bit more thorough in your search I am sure you could find some screenshots that would negate your predisposition. Well Irimii did that for you. - great selection by the way - I think I haven't seen this 2 yet.

We can not take screenshots, because WS is not out yet... but from what I saw, I can tell you this - the engine is newer, polycount on the 3D objects is higher and the lightning techniques the engine uses are quite advanced compared to those the WoW uses - at least I think so.
    - reflecting light on the body of a character
    [​IMG]
  13. Lgr

Lgr Cupcake

You can't just show those pictures and say that WoW is a bad looking game
    Here are some images from the latest expansion
    http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gamelife/2011/11/pandaria_env.jpg
    http://www.sabotagetimes.com/wp-content/uploads/pic_1.png

but lets leave this aside, you cant really say that one is better looking than other, first because they are totally diferent concepts, one has an acient (well, it was at the begining) very mystical and dark stylen, and wildstar is a highly technological sci fi universe, they have nothing to do with each other

Edit: also they have diferent graphical engines
  14. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like you are stating this only from seeing screenshots.

I'd suggest that you watch the PAX East gameplay footage. There is a point when he is running around as an Aurin, and he goes high up into the snowy peaks with low gravity jumping, and it's beautiful, and then he heads down the mountains into the valley, and then around the corner and bam, he finds a tech pit with a HUGE robot that is shooting lazers out of its eyes. It's breathtaking, and fresh, new and exciting.

The only thing that ever gave me that feeling in WoW was a statue by Blackrock Mountain.
  15. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

Ha, for me it was the Dark Portal;) WoW has many awesome locations, and equally many boring and blunt ones. How does Icecrown compare to Desolace ?

A little too quick on the assumptions if you ask me - you are comparing a game you've played for years to one that you haven't played at all. You may be right, or you maybe wrong, we won't know for many, many months :p

Though I personally loved the screenies so far. On a less serious note, some games deliver great details and textures with super crappy distance rendering that kills your machine, and unless you have an awesome pc, you never see those details until you hit that rock anyhow :D
  16. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

I really loved the stylized landscapes of WoW when I played and for me WS has much of the same appeal from the pic/vids I've seen. The difference for my WS is fresh, while WoW is still a great game it just doesn't do it for me anymore. Gotta stay fresh.
  17. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

WildStar is just beautiful. To me, in motion, I get spell bound. Watching 1080p gameplay videos (they are hard to find, but there are a few here and there) makes my eyes joygasm. When I see the game in action, it's like I'm actually watching someone playing and controlling a Film like the Incredibles or something.

I adore the art direction so much, the level of talent and humor and personality they pour into their creatures and characters is uncanny. The varying zones and scenes we've seen as well are just gorgeous, to me.

I don't think any MMOs can even compare right now, not for me anyway. TESO looks dull and boring in comparison, WoW just looks old, SWTOR never felt very vast and often planet zones were kind of closed in... Honestly the only recent game that has even compared to the amazing beauty that is WildStar's art direction for me is Bioshock Infinite. ^^

So I honestly can't even see where the OP is coming from. But then, art is so very subjective, that's understandable.

Although... I will say I do find it mildly curious the OP created an account here JUST to make this one post and post nothing else. >.>
    TheSparrow87, Phyllo, Alverad and 2 others like this.
  18. Azazello

Azazello New Cupcake

I feel like I need to get into the game to see how it feels being immersed in the landscape. I love the style, but unlike others, I'm not overly wowed by the terrain and attention to detail that I've seen in videos and screencaps, but that doesn't mean the landscape is not effective.

The one thing I will say for WoW is that Blizzard succeeded in making their zones eminently memorable despite the aesthetic simplicity. They used environmental archetypes and landmarks to great effect and defied the notion that a landscape has to be visually spectacular to be effective. Somebody shows you a reasonably broad picture of a location in WoW and essentially everyone who has played it could immediately tell you the zone it was taken in, and in many cases even give you an exact location.

That's the type of visual recognition I'd like to see WildStar shooting for more than necessarily the majestic landscapes in Final Fantasy XIV or the incredible detial of The Secret World (regardless of the visual style).
    John likes this.
  19. Yermoh

Yermoh Cupcake

Vembumees likes this.
  20. John

John "That" Cupcake

As others have said, you're comparing alpha screen shots to release screen shots, thats not really a fair comparison.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.