1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

World Of Warcraft Has Better Looking Environments Then WildStar?

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Cassius101, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Are you trolling?

To me they look extremely similar, I can hardly tell the difference. So what was the point again?
    Yermoh and Joukehainen like this.
  2. salazar

salazar Cupcake-About-Town

the point is that your profile picture scares the <REDACTED> out of me
    Mudfin and Joukehainen like this.
  3. Cassius101

Cassius101 New Cupcake

WoW's environments have more details, other then that, the game worlds look almost the same graphically. WildStar looks like Pixar animation giving it an even more childish persona then WoW's graphics have. It just really bothers me that the game worlds look so plain, everything is one solid color with no details.
  4. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Obviously different taste my man, but I definitely do not see what you see.
  5. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Me either. To me WS looks much better and WoW looks more plain. However, everyone has their own taste.
    Mudfin likes this.
  6. Xannidel

Xannidel New Cupcake

You are still comparing WoW, a game that has been out for over 7 years, to a game that can only show alpha footage, which can change at any time, so to really compare the 2 you should show Wildstar pictures and compare them to alpha pics of WoW and see which is more beautiful.

To me it does not matter which one looks pretty because WoW was fun for me when I played it but now it isn't.

If you really wanna compare looks then compare WoW to Final Fantasy XIV: ARR ;)
  7. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

Most games don't even show anything beyond their lower poly-count placeholder textures until late beta.

Not saying that's the case with WS, as I think it looks great already and easily trounces WoW, but you never know. ;)
  8. Connact

Connact New Cupcake

Um I believe the OP was arguing for WoW > Wildstar through those screen shots but honstly I thought the Wild Star ones looked better lol.... Then again I've seen the WoW graphics for years on end sense about 04
  9. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

The games have similar art styles, but it's quite obvious that WS's engine allows for better texturing and higher poly counts.

Ascetically it's your opinion, and I can't fault you for like one or another. Technically, WS has a better engine.

We'll see how it performs in motion come release, but just from a screenshot perspective, it's quite obvious that WS is superior based on tech. If only for the sake that one game was launched in 2004 and this game is quite more modern.
  10. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

Though similar in art style, I find Wildstar to be much more refined and detailed than WoW. I might be biased due to playing WoW for over 7 years, but to me Wildstar is the clear winner when it comes to which has the better looking environment.

Lets not forget the fact that in WoW there were A LOT of plain environments. It wasn't even funny. Silithus, tanaris, uldum, ashenvale, darkshore, barrens, westfall, durotar, trisfal glades, elwynn forest, duskwood, blasted lands, borean tundra, valley of the four winds, winterspring, desolace, searing gorge, burning steppes, terrokar forest, icecrown, storm peaks, kun-lai summit, dragonblight, blades edge mountains, nagrand, hellfire penninsula, arathi highlands (there's 18 quests in arathi...), and feralas. In total those took me three minutes to think of, and there's more than that.

Admittedly, WoW has gotten a bit better at having vibrant environments lately, Vashj'r, deepholm, the jade forest, the dread wastes, townlong steppes, vale of eternal blossoms, twilight highlands, sholazarr basin, hillsbrad foothills, stranglethorn vale (both northern and cape), badlands, and mount hyjal are all pretty cool zones (these took me 5 minutes to think of, I wanted to be completely fair)

There were some zones that I simply adored in WoW. My favorite zone to level in was The Jade Forest by far. Why? Because I actually got lost there a couple of times. It was a very beautiful zone, it was big, yet there wasn't too much "filler space" of just nothing but trees. Everything had a point, and it was jam packed with quests. That's the way a zone should be. But a golden nugget amid a pile of @#$@ is still a pile of @#$@, it just has some gold in it.

The big problem with WoW's zones is that they would sometimes have a big quest hub or two for the entire zone, and that'd be it. Just look at Tanaris. You have Gadgetzan sure, but after Gadgetzan they send you out to little huts deep into the zone that feel lazily constructed. The zone was still boring. Oh hey look sand. Oh a toon, thats pretty cool. Done here... Oh look more sand. Oh look some tents with quests. Looks like i get to play in the sand some more. I experienced this sort of feeling far too often while leveling in WoW. And trust me, I have 12 toons over level 80.
  11. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

Every time I read the this topic's name I get pissed off, maybe because I am biased.
    Short version; no, WoW graphics are not better. Guys don't enable the flame bait.
    Lyas Tyrell likes this.
  12. Ishana

Ishana New Cupcake

I don't agree with the OP at all. But if you were going to compare you could've at least gotten some from Pandaria, and not 8 year old zones.
  13. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Compared to modern WoW I'd say they are about equal, compared to pre-Cata WoW, WS has it hands down just in texture quality.

That being said, I haven't seen WoW:MoP on Ultra, but we also haven't seen WS on Ultra I believe. Let's all just pray they don't do the whole "We'll release HD textures later" line, which both Bethesda and Bioware have used in the past...
  14. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Aaaand why should we care?
    This game has very beautiful graphics and WoW has beautiful graphics, both in their own style.

Neeeext thread.
  15. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

While the graphics are similar, WS seems to have added lots of little details, making for "fuller" environments.
  16. Dtrain

Dtrain Cupcake

I've played WoW since Vanilla and observed the slight progress in graphics, but here is a new mmo that offers you a completely different, eye pleasing environment. I'm not saying that WoW has no such places, we all know the world (and the other one too) is gigantic and places like Nagrand and Arathi Highlands (etc) are carved into our memories. All the new mmo developers these days tend to make they'r games more realistic focusing on the details and ending up with a game that has everything so sharp and eye rendering.. I'm also convinced that most of the people here just fell in love with the game because of graphics of both gameplay and trailers.
    Difference counts*
  17. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

You got beer goggles on? :p I totally disagree with you, everything from lighting to polygon count to well everything looks better in Wildstar to me :)
  18. Avenged

Avenged Cupcake-About-Town

Why are you guys even comparing graphics between different games? This is a weird thread. I love the graphics I have seen in Wildstar. Conversely, I love the diversity of graphics in wow. You really can not compare the two properly. Take two artists and compare their paintings. You can make all the pro's and con's for each, but in the end it doesn't matter because it is subjective for EVERYONE.
  19. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

My Opinion below! Be carefull!
    [​IMG]

Now dare tell me that WoW has better graphics!!! (This is an older WoW image but that's just fair since WoW has much more time/money that they could have spend in it so now they are more equal).

I don't know how to say this in a friendly manner so i'll just post a pic to tell the story!

[​IMG]
  20. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

Don't feed the troll guys. :cautious:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.