WSC Exclusive - Design an Item Slot

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So, you may recall last week we got some juicy information on Circuit Board Crafting with a little comment that the opportunity will come to design an item slot for inclusion into the game. Well, here's that opportunity, hosted here on WSC!

Of course, you're going to need a little more information so for all the details, we turn you back over to Primus again...

Hey everyone! This is Primus, back again to talk today about Item Slots. As part of the iterative process of game design, we are adding new Item Slots to the character. We are actually adding four new slots, three of which we have pretty much decided on. For the final slot, we wanted to allow you guys, the Community, an opportunity to voice your thoughts and contribute meaningfully to the design. In order to do that you have to understand why we are adding new slots and what we are trying to accomplish with them. That is what this post is about!​

On Friday I gave some important context when I talked about our item system. We internally call this system Circuit Board Crafting (CBC). If you have not had a chance to check that out, I strongly encourage you to do so now, as this post will assume a certain amount of familiarity with that system.​

What is an Item Slot?
    Each character has a “paper doll” interface with several open spots on it for placing items. These are called Item Slots, and each one can hold one or more different types of items, depending on the character’s class and level. The weapon slot can hold a different weapon based upon which class your character belongs to, for example.​

The Item Slots we have revealed so far are Weapon, Shield, Chest Armor, Shoulder Armor, Feet Armor, Hand Armor, Leg Armor, Head Armor, and Gadget. That is nine total locations, eight of which can have stats on them. The number of slots for gear has an impact on many systems within the game and the way things are balanced, the flow of rewards from questing, how many different items there are on a boss drop table, and so on.​

About a year and a half ago we cut several slots, including Belt, Face, Rings, and some other jewelry. Why did we cut them?​

1. The Circuit Board Crafting (CBC) System allows you to move Microchips from one item to another. Our goal for this system is to make it encourage players to select the best parts of multiple items and merge them together to form one awesome item. As we began to plan loot progression we knew that Microchips would often be the only part of the item you want. You may have to get an Ability Chip off of one boss and blue ARC (Attribute Relay Chip) in order to upgrade that awesome new weapon you just got. It made sense at the time that we implemented this system that we have less Item Slots, because it takes more work to fill each one. I will get back to this point later.
    2. Some Items Slots we had were not very WildStar. We like to talk internally about what is and what isn’t WildStar and we felt that rings and jewelry are great for a hardcore fantasy setting, but do not fit in well with our whimsical sci-fi setting as types of gear. We removed some Slots we felt were out-of-theme. These slots happened to also be our only class-independent slots, meaning that everyone could equip any of them. Class-Independent slots are a good option to have, which we'll talk about later as well.
    3. There were some difficulties with Art. We did not specifically cut slots because of this, but it did influence which slots we cut. The Belt Slot is a good example of a difficult slot to deal with. Each visual display for leg armor and chest armor has to line up exactly with each visual display for the belt. This caused a lot of unnecessary restrictions for artists creating new outfits and quite a few bugs. Cutting belts not only lifted some of those restrictions and headaches, but it obviously also meant we did not have to make the belt art assets in the first place. This had a ripple effect on other assets, allowing the team to create more varied and interesting housing items, for example. We also cut the Face Slot at the same time for similar reasons.
    4. About a year ago we decided to add Augments, which were class-specific items that changed how your abilities worked. We recently decided to move this functionality to another system, so Augments were cut (but not the cool stuff they did).
    Since these decisions have occurred, we have been iterating on systems, creating tons of new content, polishing the existing zones, creating dungeons and adventures, planning the Elder Game, and generally working our butts off to make an awesome game. We are getting to the point where we are really seeing everything come together. We get to see how our designs work out in real time, with actual players hammering on the game. Sometimes we see things gel better than expected and we want to propagate them into other areas. Other times we have unexpected issues pop up and we have to figure out how to modify designs to deal with them or remove a system all together. Sometimes things just are not fun and have to be changed. Fun is king.​

We had a method for itemizing quests in the game that was not fun. Every third quest or so would give you two decent upgrades to choose from, and you would completely replace your gear every level. This may sound fun, but what actually ends up happening is that you never feel like you are getting an upgrade because your choices are always marginally better than what you have. You do not get that JACKPOT feeling.​

We have group content , Public Events, and Challenges which all give you a chance to score better items. A lot of people really enjoy figuring out where they are going to get their next item from and going after them. That is something that is lost in the previous method, where you knew that even if you missed a specific quest this level, you’d just replace the item in the next section of the zone you were in.​

So why did we decide to re-add slots?
    1. We wanted to decrease the rate at which you improve a specific slot, so that it feels better, but doing so reduces the overall rate at which you get cool stuff. To compensate for that, we need more types of cool stuff to give out. Previously at level three you would have access to five different slots! That means you start repeating rewards after just five quests, if you get a reward from every quest like you do in Northern Wilds. If we have more Item Slots to give out, that means we can go more quests before we start to repeat rewards. This holds true in the Elder Game as well, where you get more frequent upgrades in dungeons due to having more slots, but you don't have to worry about throwing away that new gear you just earned for something better immediately after winning it.
    2. Earlier I talked about crafting and modding requiring parts from multiple items. This is a situation where the sum of the parts does not equal the whole. It is satisfying to get a new item, but it is not quite as satisfying to get a new microchip, which you can put in the item. We can use the new microchips as shorter term rewards, but we felt like we have been shy a couple item slots for pacing purposes. This will allow us to increase the drop rates on items without affecting the overall amount of time it takes you to gear up.
    3. The not-WildStar slots we removed served a very important purpose – they provided a different set of “buckets” for itemization. Sometimes designers talk about itemization as a bucket problem. It is related in a lot of ways to probability and statistics. Each bucket is a group of classes/specs that can use the same gear. For example, if you have Heavy Armor with Strength locked onto it (locked chips cannot be changed), that bucket is only for Warriors, because only Warriors use Heavy Armor and want Strength. However, if we are talking about a Shield with Locked Strength, then that is useful for both the Warrior and the Stalker. Removing slots that were Armor-Independent reduced our ability to switch up buckets. We would like to get some of that utility back so that when you are in a raid competing for drops, you are not always competing with exactly the same group of people (this creates undo pressure to metagame your group composition to promote less competition for drops, something we definitely want to avoid as much as possible).
    4. We need to replace Augments, which you used to have two Slots for.
    5. A few months ago we added the Shield Slot to the game. This brought back a class-independent slot and through utilizing it, we realized that we were really missing out by not having more class-independent slots.

Design Goals and Restrictions
    So now you have some background information on why we are adding new slots and what sorts of things we have considered with adding or removing slots. As a designer, I use information like this to constrain my design. It is good to start with a list of goals and restrictions – we have a lot of information here to make that list. Sometimes we ignore restrictions when brainstorming, but the ultimate answer will have to account for them in some way.​

Design Goals have granularity, and smaller goals are derived from overarching goal. In this case, one major goal is “Make getting rewards awesomer”. This is a driving goal for this change. Other goals can be derived from this, but they have to progress this goal.​

Most of our restrictions are related to developer resources. Any time we devote resources to creating something new, those are resources that cannot be used elsewhere. Our priority is to make a fun game, but we have to make smart choices about how we do it, and pick and choose what to focus on.​

Here is an incomplete list of Goals and Restrictions:​
    1. Make getting rewards awesomer!
    2. We are adding slots so that we can increase the number of rewards given out.
      1. These items should be easy to pass out on quests or dungeons.
      2. These items will use Circuit Board Crafting and Modding, because we want to have incremental rewards related to them (microchips and power amps).
    3. New slots must use existing technology. This basically means we have to limit the amount of code time required to add these, so we can't do anything crazy like "a slot that changes every animation for every ability."
    4. No new art assets! Unfortunately this means we cannot make a new visible slot, no matter how cool and innovative it is.
    5. New Slots should not require space on the Limited Action Set (LAS). This means no “clickies”.
    6. Items should scale in power with their level, not the player’s level. Generally flat increases are better than % increases. We do not want players to farm low level areas to get the best Weapon in the game because it has the only +10% to all stats Special. A “self-revive injector” has a similar problem – it is just as good at Elder Game, if not better.
    Some of these restrictions are not absolute, but we like to pretend that they are. We want to create fun, but we have a finite amount of resources to do so. We are really looking for the best bang for the buck, so to speak. It does not take a ton of work to add a new slot that just gives stats, but we are passed the phase of development where we can justify creating whole new systems, or redesigning entire swaths of content.​

For those interested in taking a shot, I have some suggestions about how to utilize our existing technology to come up with great ideas.​

Design by Restriction
    A powerful way to design is to categorize things and then restrict how you make new things based upon that. I will give an example from our very own WildStar! We have a Feet Slot that often makes use of Item Specials. We have a system (coming) for restricting which microchips can be modded onto which items. We have decided that movement related specials only go on the Feet Slot, so now you have may to choose between 10% move speed and 2 extra meters of jump height, because you only have one Specials Socket on your boots. This is good design because it creates meaningful choice without requiring any new coding.​

Spell System
    Our Spell system is pretty flexible and powerful (and complicated!). The same system is used for class abilities, stimpacks, and Item Specials. There may be opportunities to fake systems using Spells. A lot of innovative things can be done without additional technology, just by using this system. Unfortunately I cannot really spell out everything it is capable of.​

Theme It
    Make sure that the slot has good theming. Remember that we removed Rings because they did not fit the flavor of WildStar. We have released lots of awesome flavorful videos that capture the sort of personality we strive for.​

An Actual Example!
    This milestone I created several proposals for new Item Slots. We are implementing three of them and another three or so were discarded. This example is one of the ones we are implementing. It has a good theme, is simple to implement, and is fairly elegant in its design. Some of the information has been [redacted] so that Aether does not murder nag at me.​

Weapon Attachment
    This is a universal slot for Assault Power and offensively oriented stats and abilities. It uses the CBC System. It may have a Specials Socket that has access to use Weapon Specials, making it the only destination other than a Weapon to place Weapon Special Microchips. A percent of this item’s Power will always be spent on Assault Power, making it the only non-Weapon slot to get Assault Power, as well.​

Implementation:
    This slot will use the CBC System, and make use of Slot-Restricted Microchips.​
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with General or Weapon Special Microchips.
    • Schematics for this slot will always utilize either 20%, 30%, or 40% of their Power on the Assault Power stat.
    • The Assault Power Microchip will always be Locked in.
    • The Assault Power Microchip is not extractable or moddable.
    • Random Stat Chips for this item will include the offensive stats only.
    That’s it! There is a theme and a few rules. I have not created any new systems or made any sweeping changes. The most controversial part of this chip is that we are now allowing players to have up to two Weapon Specials, where we previously were only allowing one. This may limit the types of things we can do with Weapon Specials, but since most of them have not been created yet, that is okay.​

Hopefully you will take away a little bit of insight into how we go about making design decisions, and how much work goes into a task that seems small. I hope you guys take a swing at this task and I look forward to all of the creative and innovative ideas you come up with.​
  2. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

This looks pretty innovative! After my eyes get some rest I have to go over it again though, and hey, it's F5 time now! :D
    A Game of Scones likes this.
  3. Onion

Onion Cupcake

Off the top of my mind:

1. Armor Attachment
    The easy choice, since Weapon Attachment was provided as an example. Would function similarly, but maybe not the 'elegant' choice, or most creative.

2. Gadget #2
    Two pockets, two gadgets?

3. Charm
    Not sure if this is the best of ideas, but could inspire others. For example, you see the human Exile on the wallpaper with a necklace. The Granok has a cigar and badges on his weapon belt. The Aurin has... Something, certainly! By this I mean something that could fit in a pocket. A lucky charm. Nothing too abstract, something large enough to pack a microchip in it? Also, could be a nice way to implement more verbal humor and cult references :V

4. Amp/Power Unit
    You see the armors with glowing lights, which means energy. Which means a power source. A some sort of a power source which is already found in the armor, which could provide additional defensive bonuses through microchips. [ EDIT: I just now remembered that each item has a power amp and a certain amount of power so this one is mute... ]

That is all! Unfortunately too late for me to fully utilize my brainpower :V
    Trahma and CRB_PChan like this.
  4. Ender

Ender Well-Known Cupcake

This is really awesome! I'll have to try to come up with something when I'm not about to fall asleep :D
    Looking forward to seeing suggestions when I get up!
  5. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hehe, posssibly a little buried for now under the beta hype avalanche, but this was a really cool and insightful writeup on item design for Wildstar!

I'm definitely gonna try my hand at this, though I don't know if I'll be able to hit on any resonant ideas that the folks at Carbine wouldn't already have. :p
  6. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

If I am understanding correctly this is my idea.

Shoulder Enhancement

A slot for a defensive buff that can be carried over to your group. While solo it is an aura that encompasses you but as you group the aura flows to your other group members. Under the CBC it would use Special Circuits and most likely the primary would be Ability Chips. 100% of it power would be used for defensive abilities or skills.

The Defensive chip associated with what each class would bring would be the lockable chip and only defensive stats would be allowed.

Very similar set up to what you have for Weapon enhancement but defensive and has an effect for solo and group.

Examples could be:

Warrior - primarily damge absorption or projectile reflection.

Stalker - would enhance dodge endurance recovery

Esper - Minor power/health regen
    CRB_PChan, ruff_ethereal and Vossler like this.
  7. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Very cool writeup and I love that Carbine is giving us this opportunity. I am a little bummed about the "no new art assets" restriction, but it makes perfect sense and it says a lot about this team's eagerness to get the game into the hands of players.

With the restrictions that are in place the kinds of items you are likely to end up with are basically the good old jewelry slots from WoW. No active effect rules out trinkets, and no visuals rules out pretty much all of the super cool options (such as Draken horn warmers). That said there is still a lot of fun to be had in trying to nail down a Wildstar specific feeling to such a nebulous item slot. Most of the character art (I am staring at an armored granok and a fashionable looking human right now) is awash in details that you could easily use to come up with some kind of trinket slot. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a power source for your armor (since everything seems to glow), not a bad idea, but considering the CBC it may be a little redundant.

It actually would have been nice if belts were in the game because you could just have a "belt utility slot" ala Batman and justify pretty much putting anything there. It wouldn't need a its own art asset since the belt already exists. It would be a more satisfying item slot than some weird trinket that has no specific place on your character to call home and might as well just be in orbit around you. And you could have a fun time coming up with neat item names for all the things you might have in a belt utility slot.

I gotta say tho, a face item slot sounds sooo cool.
  8. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

How's a out a blood-nanobot transfusion? You can gain a new blood type that adds stats or bonus, but can only have one blood type at any given time? You would have to choose when to get a new transfusion as the old blood would be disposed of upon replacement. The blood would boost a core stat by a set amount.
    Strength would be aug,enter by the nanobots providing extra juice to your muscles
    Intelligence would get a boost from the bots working with your brain, etc
    Plus as it is an internal use there would be no additional design or graphics needed to implement.
  9. Drake

Drake New Cupcake

Since the slots cannot be visible I believe that, thematically, that limits options to the following:

Nanobiotic
    - I like this idea the most, and I think it fits in perfectly in the world of Wildstar. I originally imagined it being an injection into the blood stream, however then it wouldn't make sense to be able to unequip and sell it. This would essentially be a nanobot that attaches itself to the heart, allowing increased blood (or whatever is inside each race) to flow to specific parts of the body. There would be several classes of nanobiotics that differ in function based on their primary attribute (which would be locked in to the circuit board). For exmaple, a low level neural class nanobiotic would boost magic. Higher level nanobiotics could also have more options for customization. You could divert some of the energy out of magic, and in return get some static buff (perhaps something like cool down reduction or attack speed increase).

Battery
    - I also like this idea, though it would work better if it was visible since (thematically) I would expect strong batteries to be big. However I suppose technology could be advanced enough to have super powerful micro batteries. I think batteries would be more interesting if, instead of providing flat boosts, they could be directed to other parts of the body through battery specific microchips. For example, a battery might provide a base 100 energy (I dont know how strong that is in the CBC system, but this could obviously be adjusted) with it's locked in microchip and using a low level chest microchip it could send 5% of that to your equipped chest, increasing all the stats on the chest by 5%. Higher level batteries would have more energy to send out, and higher level microchips could send out a higher percentage (a 110% energy transmitter chip would be an exciting drop) of that energy to other armor. For a slot that cannot be seen, using it to power up my favorite new item sounds like a lot more fun than something static and boring like a ring.

Armor Enhancement (boring)
    - this would function like the weapon enhancement, except it would be specific to some piece of armor. Not very exciting
    Trahma, CRB_PChan, Rogosh and 3 others like this.
  10. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

This is a super neat idea. My first thought is something you wear under your chest armor, something that would logically augment a character's abilities such as a Bionic Harness or Bionic Weave. I would be interested to know the other two item slots that are going through in addition to the Weapon attachment.

Now to ape that formatting from above.

Bionic Harness
    This is a universal slot with a wide variety of stat options, both offensive and defensive oriented stats and abilities. It uses the CBC System. It may have a Specials Socket but will not have access to chest armor specific microchips. A percent of this item’s Power will always be spent on [max health].

Implementation:
    This slot will use the CBC System
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with General Special Microchips.
    • Schematics for this slot will always utilize either 20%, 30%, or 40% of their Power on the [max health] stat.
    • The [max health] Microchip will always be Locked in.
    • The [max health] Microchip is not extractable or moddable.
    • Random Stat Chips for this item will include offensive and defensive options.
    CRB_PChan, Jhen, Rogosh and 2 others like this.
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Happy to see this go live, and looking forward to all the suggestions!! :D Guys, really...how cool is it of Carbine to do this??

I know brain implants have been brought up a couple of times now by different people, and I just loved that idea! It fits so perfectly with the feel of WildStar, which is what Carbine is hoping to maintain with these new item slots they're working on adding, and it also works out well, since they would not be visible anyway, so it makes perfect sense why there would be no new art assets needed to be created for it.

There hasn't been a lot of talk on what the brain implants could do specifically, but now that we have this information, perhaps all the people who liked the implant idea can develop something unique. I really almost think it would be neat if the community combined ideas and came together to create this new item slot. :) That way, multiple people can feel they helped contribute and can be pleased with what Carbine decides on choosing. (Maybe that's wishful thinking on my part though!)

I personally am not great with stats and figuring out what works well to this sort of in depth degree, so I will leave the rest up to you guys! Have fun, all!
    Caimie and 3seed like this.
  12. Scrawny

Scrawny Cupcake

Thanks for letting us contribute to this.

I was thinking about a "Badge" slot, something you could use to display your game achievements with. In the example I've included, the badge would display the achievement title appended to the name. This could allow people to display their various PvP and PvE achievements through like a Badge of Honor.

[​IMG]

I know you mentioned no new art assets, but this could possibly show up as a static badge on the character in their character screen/inspect screen.

Or off into the wild blue yonder, rare or extremely hard achievements could reward a special badge that would say, change the color of one's spells or gun shots. Not altering the functionality, strictly visual.

Just an idea.

Thanks for listening.
    wasabi, Rogosh and cecilandblues like this.
  13. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

Can we get a clarification on something?

Are we making a CBC slot or are we making a paperdoll equipment slot? I can't tell by the wording :/ (and i've read it about 5 times already)
  14. Immaculata

Immaculata Cupcake

My idea:

How about bonus slots appearing during crafting? A pair of gloves for instance might be crafted with an extra slot. This will be a random event without any special circumstances to make it happen. This gives all crafters a chance to shine and produce something interesting.

For additional slot that fits the flavor of Wildstar, you could add packs for the back slot. Think backpack for additional inventory and perhaps you could slot it defensively.

For shields I think generators that create a field of protection around a player. There could be a slot for that.
  15. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

A new item slot, it just won't be visible.
  16. Eliat_kuni

Eliat_kuni Cupcake

Undergarments
    Everybody need underwear :). This is a universal slot for defense and comfort. It uses the CBC System.
    Implementation:
    This slot will use the CBC System, and make use of Slot-Restricted Microchips.
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with General/Defense/Resistance/Stamina
    • Only item with microchips with rest bonus and off combat bonuses (Better regen etc..)
    • Only item with bonus for receiving healing (Flat bonuses) - From potions/stim/medpack and player healing or self-healing abitilies
    • Only item with a gender restriction

Pretty unique and it would fit the we do not take stuff to much serious. Naming the item would be pretty fun too. ex. Dominion chastity underpants, Talvain Plein briefs, etc.

Edit - Added gender restriction and some explanation
  17. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus New Cupcake

To be fair, some of the best trinkets in WoW over the ages had no activated effects. Blackfist's Breadth, Hand of Justice, Drake Fang Talisman, Styleen's Impeding Scarab, Most Darkmoon Cards had passive stats and/or procs, and this list could go on.

So it isn't completely unthinkable to utilize the naming of trinket slots. Though I doubt anyone wants to re-use that concept when they're being given a chance to come up with something new and interesting.
  18. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

Hmmm my thoughts would be:
    "Eldan Artifact"(or just an Artifact slot)
    A universal slot for abilities based on the artifact, as well as general offensive, defensive, or healing stats.
    An item that uses the CBC system, that uses slot-restricted Microchips

*Can be socketed with general Microchips
    *Has a locked ability chip.
    *The ability chip is not extractable(possibly)
    *Random stat chips will include all types( offensive, defensive, healing)

Hope this helps!
    CRB_PChan, Luciamund, Alverad and 2 others like this.
  19. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

The Draken might disagree with this statement, I'm pretty sure they prefer to go au naturel...

Anyways, it's really nice to see Carbine reaching out to the community to get input and feedback on what the last item slot should be for characters.
  20. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

A Couple Brainstorm Suggestions
    Part of the reason I am sure Carbine is doing this is to get us all to "think-tank" our ideas for them and let them siphon off all the cream that rises to the top. With that in mind, going to just throw some of my ideas out there for examination and iteration by everyone here. :)

Targeting Relay
    This is a universal slot that uses CBC and is associated with "enhancing" the head armor slot. It focuses on targeting and % to hit ratios and general hit chance oriented stats and abilities. It's Specials Socket could be tied to in-game Head Specials, making it the only destination other than a Head to place Head Special Microchips. A percent of this item’s Power will always be spent on Targeting and chance to hit buffers.

Implementation:
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with General or Head Special Microchips.
    • Schematics for this slot will always utilize either 20%, 30%, or 40% of their Power on the Chance to Hit stat.
    • The Targeting Microchip will always be Locked in.
    • The Targeting Microchip is not extractable or moddable.
    • Random Stat Chips for this item will include offensive and perhaps defensive stats as well, maybe even +healing or +damage, since it might be helping your "aim"
    • BONUS IDEA: could this slot also make your telegraph zones fractionally larger depending on a specific chip? Unsure how that idea could work with the systems already in place.

Eldan Implant
    This is a universal slot that uses CBC and is associated with augmenting someone's body. It might have random stats on it, but its main purpose would be the Special. It's Specials Socket could be tied to the Spell system in game, though since details on that were sketchy its perhaps a tad difficult to get into too much detail on that idea. Perhaps making certain "spell types" work even better or more efficiently in certain ways, or packing a larger punch, or giving something a reduced caste time.

Implementation:
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with General Microchips just for specific common stat boosts.
    • Schematics for this slot will always utilize either 40%, 50%, or 60% of their Power on the Special Socket.
    • The Special Microchip will always be Locked in.
    • The Special Microchip is not extractable or moddable.
    • Random Stat Chips for this item will include the main stats classes utilize (Strength, Magic, Tech, etc...)
    • BONUS IDEA: The names for these implants could be really bizarre, like anything from "Eldan Density Enhancer," to "Hyperdrive Nanobugs" ... To "Annual Probe"

Pathfinder
    This is a path-specific slot that uses CBC and is associated with one of the four paths. Imagine it as on someone's wrist perhaps like a Fallout PIPboy. It would be all about enhancing Path related abilities and features. It's Specials Socket would then most likely deal with Path cooldowns, or abilities, or enhance a Path experience. These would most likely not come with stat chips, though they of course also be tacked on if that is desired for the design goals too.

Implementation:
    This slot will use the CBC System, and make use of Slot-Restricted Microchips. Mainly Path abilities.
    • Items of this Slot can be socketed with Path Special Microchips. For example, Settlers find a Pathfinder the reduces the cool down on their campfire ability, or allows them to build 2 campfires at one time.
    • Schematics for this slot will always utilize about 80% power for the Path specific ability, the rest sometimes being random stats.
    • The Path ability Microchip will always be Locked in.
    • The Path ability Microchip is not extractable or moddable.
    • Random Stat Chips for this item will include nearly anything, but will often be minor boosts.
    • PATH ABILITY EXAMPLES: Soldiers get a 5% damage increase for each wave they complete in a holdout mission, lasting about a minute each time, and stacking. Scientists are able to scan their targets much faster. Explorers can run faster underground in their shortcut caverns.

As one can see, this last idea is a bit vague due to the nature of not knowing quite as much detail about the paths as I might wish. It also might be the most difficult to implement one, as tying a slot to Paths might not be what the developers are looking for. However, I've been wondering if it were possible so thought I'd throw it out here. :) Who knows, maybe they or someone here can make the idea work!
    Trahma, CRB_PChan, Luciamund and 15 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.