1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Exclusive - Design an Item Slot

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brimdang

Brimdang Cupcake

Introducing Thingamajig! What's it do? Nobody knows! How did it get here? Nobody cares!
    Thingamajig can be used for everything! Peel an orange! Put it next to an orange! Disembowel an orange! You can even put it in your pocket! Everyone wants thingamajig! You can get it for the low price of picking it up off the ground! It's that easy! Get yours today!
    Thingamajig has a registration fee of $59.99 proto dollars. May cause headaches, nausea and 'minor' anal prolapse. Protostar is not responsible for any injuries caused using thingamajig.

Edit: Ok to explain thingamajig. It's an item slot that has no effect on gameplay adds a stat that does NOTHING like "+23 to doors" or "-10 billion cornflakes" the icon for the item should be anything small, like a bottle opener or a banana or a beetle. And have some flavor text, the higher level/rarity of the item, the more amusing the flavor text should be.
    nestfluff, Zilvoran, moneda and 4 others like this.
  2. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

I was trying my best not to laugh, but "+23 to doors" struck me. I made an item today that had "+22 Stat: Corrupted!". True story.
  3. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

This was also posted over here, but I wanted to add this to this thread as well. This is the OFFICIAL NEXUS WEEKLY SUGGESTION! :p (sooooo official)

Tired of the chirrup of avian agitators? Fed up with the howls of gales in Galeras? Well, we here at Protostar have the answer! Straight from the Protostar labs, we introduce our newest innovation: The Kurtenacker 3000! First time you're hearing about the device? No problem! It's actually the first time we have heard about it as well!

You see, the Kurtenacker 3000 is being released as Protostar's first 'beta' product! That's right! Now you, the consumer, gets to experience the adventure that is testing a Protostar product simply by purchasing a K3K at its full retail price and then seeing whether or not the device explodes and/or melts!

So, what makes the K3K so unique? Well, it was developed single-handedly by our eccentric musicologist "Mad" Kix Kurtenacker (advanced degrees in Grooving, Keeping it Real, and Quantum Mechanics) where he spent the better part of a weekend putting the finishing touches on the prototype.

If there's one thing we here at Protostar Corp care about, it's personal growth, money, and dazzling innovation. We believe in Kix's invention... but enough of our rambling, let's let Kix himself tell you more about the very first buffing audio player ever!

---
    Cut to Kix standing in a charred lab coat, wearing goggles on his forehead. All around his face is black soot, except the two circles around his eyes that are the same diameter of his goggles.

Greetings, friends! How many times have you been bored silly by the thought of yet another afternoon of taking down two story Eldan monstrosities, feral beasts, and all manner of raiders, marauders, pirates, and hooligans? If you're like any of us here at Protostar, then the answer to that question is 'quite often, thanks!' If that is your answer, then I have spent the better part of a weekend concocting my greatest invention just. for. you... and anyone else that wants to get in on the ground floor of beta testing my auditory buffer!

Now, what exactly is an auditory buffer you might ask. Well, the answer is quite simple really. Throughout time, people have held that music is key to the soul and body... and for the most part, they were right! By my intense study of brain wave analysis, I have created a portable audio system that not only entertains, but also strengthens resolve, fortitude, wisdom, and even strength!

Simply by keeping the K3K notched on the side of your belt, and putting in our specialized earbuds that are so tiny that they seem to not even exist, the user can fortify their natural attributes through the use of advanced electronic impulses sent directly to the brain! Sound scary? It kind of is! But that's why we need to test it!

But that's not all! The K3K is also extremely moddable, meaning that as our project continues to mature, the power source found inherently in the K3K can be removed, upgraded, and installed with even more power augmentation chips.

Yes, it seems as though the future is here, today! The closed beta is starting today! Want in to the closed beta? My only advice is to not seem too excited about the product, because then you will have to wait for the open beta!

Thank you all, and happy auditory buffing!

An Erlenmeyer flask explodes behind Kix in a tiny, tiny mushroom cloud as the camera shuts off.
    Haoli, Zilvoran, Jynetik and 3 others like this.
  4. Draogon

Draogon Cupcake-About-Town

Since this is sci-fi, and we've seen videos where the player has received quests or quest updates via the Datacron why not do a software slot or something similar, that will apply a patch that increases proformance, re-routes power etc, and because of this it can increase a stat or number of stats.

The item drop appearance for the slot can be a Floppy Disk :p
  5. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Okay... So slots I like the idea of:

1) Implant Slot (handled by Augmentics system?)
    2) Blood Nanite Slot (ditto?)
    3) Communicator Slot
    4) 'Artifact' Slot?
    5) 'Class' Slot (specific items to a class that act as trinkets)
    -Warrior: Trophy
    -Stalker: Memento
    -Spellslinger: Shells (like spent bullet shells)
    -ESPer: Foci
    6) 'Path' Slot (same as above, but for classes)
    -Soldier: Medals
    -Explorer: Charts
    -Scientist: Treatises
    -Settler: Deeds (I mean, what kind of sci-fi western would this be if there weren't deeds to the land that were being fought over!)
    7) Software Slot

I think any of these should either give you a single stat boost, or 2 stat boosts and a single stat decrease! Keeps it interesting, and people don't fiddle around with stat decreases enough in any case.

They should also have passive procs. For example. If certain conditions are met, they do X. They wouldn't do percent based things except to determine when specific conditions are met, because then they'd scale to level, and we want to avoid that right? So if something "Boosts your shields when you reach X% of health, you regain 200 shield" for example.
  6. Lempo

Lempo New Cupcake

I desperately want to make a contribution to this. but like a doe-eyed child at his first sporting event the concept is so foreign to me I can only stare in wonder.

So without actually having first-hand knowledge of the current system of in game itemization, other than the description given, I can only attempt to relate it to what I have seen in other games. The only system I can think of that sounds similar to this would be the item customization from SWToR. Where you could disassemble an item for it's components and add some of those components to other pieces of gear with matching open slots. Or craft items for the open slots.

Recap: Earlier in the development of the game you removed the jewelery, belt and face item slots for several different reasons. They didn't meld in to your vision of Wildstar.. or interfered with the visual appearance of armor sets?

The simple and obvious choice would be to revive one or more of these lost slots, but change the functionality.
    A simple fix would be to put belts back in the game but not give them a visual appearance (several games employ this tactic, like Rift). Or add back rings and call them "Bionetic Appendage Implants" .. just something to make them feel more sci-fi'ey.

Wish I had more input to offer, but I kinda feel like I'm shooting in the dark.
  7. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Probably already been suggested but Eldan Artifacts would be cool.

Something that I don't think would be that suited but would be kinda cool:

Essence slot:
    This slot can either be an aura based slot or just affect yourself.

I would like to see these tied to the enemies that you get them off - you have to kill strong things to get strength, you have to kill tech things to get tech bonus.

An aura based slot would be kind of cool, having it so that when you use abilities something happens or when you always provide a buff to people near you.

Hard to tell what slots to add when we don't know what there is or really what kind of things the slots are for.
  8. Dusk

Dusk New Cupcake

I just thought of something before I went to sleep last night; unfortunately I was already in my warm blankets and, as we all know, you can never escape warm blankets.

Anyhow - DNA Sequencer.

This builds off a post from the first page that mentions a type of 'Blood Alteration' in which nano-bots infuse into your blood to give you different properties. I thought that was a great idea, but lacked a bit of enthusiasm to it (or perhaps in my mind it didn't make the MOST sense). Then it hit me... what if the nano-bots were actually 'DNA RE-sequencers' that altered your genetic material in which would then give you minute-but-noticeable changes to your character's stats/attacks.

In my thoughts 'DNA RE-sequencers' (otherwise for now, just the nano-bots) are specific genetic altering devices that implant themselves into a portion of the users DNA and then replicate themselves rapidly (very, very, very rapidly) to fill that exact same slot in the rest of the persons remaining DNA.

This goes to say that your graphic for this would be a DNA helix, and in the current slots of the helix would be the same-old boring 'normal' DNA; some lame looking blob that wiggles, maybe. Nano bot graphics would be dependent on what they do; Nano's that alter your STR stat look rigid and bulky while those that increase your fire rate are sleek and "speedy" looking.

Hell, Nano-bots themselves can work off the 'Circuit Board' system too, should they be a rare enough find! Finally found that one-of-a-kind Nano that Dr. CrazyWhack invented right before he died to [insert opposing faction]?! CIRCUIT BOARD THAT MOJO UP!

And so ends my preliminary thoughts about how this should be the next slot added into your amazing game - Wildstar.

PS: DNA Sequencer!!!!
    CRB_PChan likes this.
  9. Khrusky

Khrusky Cupcake

My idea is focused on theme rather than stats/gameplay effects as I don't feel comfortable theorising around that when we don't know about a lot of things that affect its balance (i.e. the last 2 classes, gameplay systems like milestones, etc.).

Stimulants/drugs (I realise the latter could be unworkable, this name is a stopgap descriptor)
    So booze canteens, tobacco tins, energy drinks, medicines, herbs&spices, etc. The idea is that this would be a favourite/treasured item that the character is never without.

The key reason this should be a gear item rather than a consumable is that these kind of things can really flesh out a character, in a way that makes them a permanent facet. The Granok's cigar/beer bottles and Cassian's wine/port/expensive drink are two that have already been used as such in Wildstar's media. These items are a character trait, not just one-offs. Consumables tend to be designed around min-maxing on-the-fly, and so characters can't really maintain their distinctive habits as soon as their chosen buffs start to become important. Having a certain buff is also generally not as distinctive as having a certain item equipped.

The real boon of this is that it has a lot of potential item concepts while still retaining a distinctive feel to the slot as a whole. Example items: Fine Cassian Whiskey, Human rum, Granok moonshine, flasks of Aurin fruit liqueur/alcoholic nectar, cigar tins, snuff boxes, "herb" tins, pouches of psychedelic plants (with related religious significance potentially), Protostar-branded energy drinks, pain-reducing drugs (would suit the Draken), steroids, pouches of powders, Mechari performance-enhancing/scented oils, face-rejuvenating cream, infused hair gel, strong coffee flask, Chua "spiritual" hyper-caffeinated tablets, etcetera. This could also be expanded to include the blood-based/nanobots theme if so desired.

This concept is also very flexible gameplay-wise for desired stats and mechanics. Flat stat boosts would work, as would trade-offs (e.g. -intelligence, +strength), as well as many other more esoteric effects.

I think that also the real-world associations people have with these items would make each of these items very appealing to different individuals, giving a valuable, desirable aesthetic to an item without graphics to provide it. The induced literal flavour/taste aesthetic of an item would be an interesting counterpart to the visual ones provided by other items.

There would also be good synergy with the farming gathering profession (or whichever the relevant crafting profession is, if going for a gather/craft disjoint), which might otherwise be lacking gear items to be crafted. That may not be desirable if that profession is balanced using that specific limitation, but it's another option on the table. There should be no problems with mob-drops/quest rewards from humanoids, and could be used for humorous characterisation of NPCs.

There is also a potential to later implement a small graphic for these elements later, if so desired (e.g. hip-flask, cigar in mouth), but no need to do so.
  10. Khrusky

Khrusky Cupcake

Other ideas I've particularly liked:
    1. My immediate thought, my game design consideration. I really like the depth this mechanic could have.
    2. This mechanic is another one that personalises your character, in a similar way to picking level-up stats.
    3. I really like the theme of this. The idea that sprung into my mind would be just having different set-content books where the titles and contents were made up by community member submissions, so that while the stats were essentially arbitrary, you can inspect the gear item to read maybe a few hundred carefully-crafted words. This is another way to give an invisible item some appealing/differentiating aesthetic, although I don't know whether storing stories presents a technical challenge.
  11. Aresk

Aresk New Cupcake

Greetings, fellow innovators!

We at Think Tank have been hard at work over the past week to find a solution for your equipment needs. Today, right here and now, we reveal the answer: the datajack! Easily concealable in your survival gear, ballroom shoes, or even your own epidermis*, this convenient device won't hinder any fashion statement you dare to make! And best of all, the installation of a datajack is completely free (Limit: one per customer).

What does a datajack do? I'm glad you asked. Once this lightweight convenience is properly installed, you can use it to access one of our many Personal Resource Organizers with Globally-Relevant Adaptive Management, or PROGRAMs. Simply place a PROGRAM cube within the datajack, and you will enjoy the second greatest invention** known to the galaxy.

Each PROGRAM comes with a Function Chip, specially designed to aid all entrepreneurs in their endeavors on Nexus. From assisting in the construction of a new arm cannon, providing supplemental learning during an apprenticeship, or performing geological surveys for higher mineral yields, our proprietary Function Chips are an invaluable asset to anyone undertaking a tradeskill. As an added bonus, anything you invent with the aid of our PROGRAM will automatically be submitted to the Protostar Patent Office in order to keep the rights to the invention where they belong: in a nebulous legal partnership between the Protostar Corporation and you!

But what about those unproductive members of society? Our PROGRAMs hold value to their portion of the market as well with the Globally-Relevant Adaptive Management subroutines. From Algoroc to Galeras, the Function Chip will monitor your environment and automatically adjust available support systems, granting a boost to your Stamina. The higher quality the chip, the greater the boost!

Regardless of your needs, these new chips are returning the "fun" to "function." As they are proprietary technology, however, we must discourage any attempt to extract or modify these chips. In the event a customer disregards this advice, each Function Chip is capable of sending a remote alert to our parent company, and security droids will be dispatched to repossess the tampered product. Your compliance is strongly recommended.

Still not sold? Our more advanced PROGRAMs can come with one or more Microchips in addition to the Function Chip. These chips are randomly placed within the PROGRAM to maximize your surprise and enjoyment, providing endless opportunity to purchase or hunt down these devices in order to find just the one you want! Please note, we do not offer refunds.

What are you waiting for? Install that datajack, plug in a PROGRAM, and improve your life today!

*Think Tank advises only to have datajacks implanted by authorized Protostar vendors. Think Tank and its parent company are not responsible for infection, nerve damage, spasms, or involuntary bouts of dancing caused by installing a datajack directly into your body. Rumors of PROGRAMs' high-jacking the user's motor controls are completely unfounded. If experiencing odd behavior after loading a PROGRAM, please contact Protostar Security immediately.

**The Personal Resource Organizer with Globally Relevant Adaptive Management has been rated second only to the Protostar Difference in terms of quality of life improvement.
  12. Elias

Elias New Cupcake

I have in mind something that not only ties in the theme and genre of Wildstar into character itemization, but also story. So I suggest the item slot "Cultural Relic." While some MMO's have class-specific item slots, where the items you can socket into the slot are specifically made for that class, the Cultural Relic item slot is race-specific. To that end, each race would have a different category of item that would fit into the Cultural Relic slot. Aurin would have nature-themed sacred artifacts, both imported from their home world and representing their new attunement to the natural world of Nexus. Granok would have decks of cards, dice, and other items mercenaries would have to bond on long missions through space. Humans could have musical instruments and other items of creativity and nostalgia for a lost home. Cassians would have insignia and other awards of their service and politicking. Draken would have hunting trophies and other tokens of strength. Mechari would collect precious relics and messages from the disappeared Eldan.

A racial-specific item slot would pose the same problems of rigid specificity that class-specific slots would. However, the potentials for storytelling would be promising. For one thing, it would be one of the few slots that your character would have filled upon creation. Your first Cultural Relic would be a memento from your world and life left behind. The storytelling team could make sure that it is an item of enough significance and attachment to the player that they would want to hold onto it in the bank or through modification throughout their character's career. Going forward, Cultural Relics would be rewarded from quests that specifically help one of the races in a significant way. Either they can be rewarded in race-specific quests, or if the quest writing team doesn't want to implement race-exclusive quests, Relics could be a supplemental reward. For example, an Aurin saving an Aurin village from attackers would receive an Aurin Relic, while other races would get a weapon, armor, or mod to choose.

In game systems, Relics would be armor/general oriented and stat-ed. If there are stats or item properties that enhance utility skills, that would be ideal. As the importance of Cultural Relics is for story and collect-ability as much as gearing a character, stats don't necessarily have to be significant in magnitude. Optional benefits to specific Cultural Relics could be in appearance, NPC reactions, or as pass-keys to certain areas in racially-controlled towns, etc. Also, if there are racial skills, Cultural Relics might enhance them, as well.
  13. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Good evening, Wildstar Central. This is PChan, *Senior Vice President of Tradeskills; Marquis de Marchés; Amicus Imperator and General Counsel to Primus, Lord of Econ, etcetera etcetera.

When Primus exclaimed with excitement that the responses to the Design an Item Slot WSC Exclusive thread had reached over 100 posts, I could not stave off my curiosity- I had to see what our fans had dreamed up on our behalf.

I am astonished that there has been, and continues to be, this kind of creative outpouring. I count over 55 unique ideas, many of them thoroughly detailed and thoughtfully themed. Reading your ideas have not only been inspiring, but also entertaining (RE: Draken Horn Warmers, Thingamajig with +23 to Doors).

Some common themes that seem to resonate strongly with participants, and with me, are the Racial/Vanity/Trophy slot, Group/Raid slot, and Path slots.

• I have had many smiles over the thought of Granok Cigars, Mechari Humor Chips, and Aurin Ear Ribbons as equippable items. Even if there are not 3D representations, it would be hard to argue that these items are not extremely well themed. I think it'd be awesome to be able equip some kind of vanity Eldan artifact after being that uber-hard 40 man Raid Boss that only X% of the population has seen, nevermind beaten, ammarite? (Alternatively, equip a rarely found Explorer/Scientist analogue, OR the skull of your PvP Nemesis).
    Speaking of which, holy poop, why haven't I seen any PvP slot items propsed yet?

• I like Draegan's solution of narrowing the focus from raid-wide buffs to radius/group-wide buffs for the Group/Raid slot. This slot idea was one that I liked very much and championed once upon a time, as Primus pointed out.
    • Many of the Path ideas that have been presented are also very interesting, although anything that affects Paths could not be unilaterally implemented by the Econ Team, nor would we be able to rule out code requirements. Again, this theming is very strong.
    I do want to give a quick shout out to:
    • Pseudo's Kurtnacker 3000 (I thought you did a great job of writing up what was discussed in the NW podcast)
    • petespri's Personal Satchel
    • Roland Daemon's ARC Coil
    • Dwel's trigger-based Cardiac Enhancer
    • Nyx's Tech Torch
    • Moxxy's Mount Enhancement
    Even if they are not chosen specifically for the community slot, these and many other offerings have sparked discussions that may have useful ideas for other item slots and sub-systems.

Anyway, I only stopped by to say that I am super impressed by the amount and quality of the ideas this thread has produced, and I hope that it continues apace until the moment Primus determines the fate of the community slot.

Good job, everyone. If we have such excellent fans, then I believe we will not fail.

*not actual Carbine positions
  14. Kalltah

Kalltah New Cupcake

So I wanted to try my hand at this and I came up with about four of them, though they seem to be variations of ones I saw up thread but even in those cases I tried to put my own spin on each. Hope you enjoy.

Lore: Hello there, I am Phineas T. Rotostar, today I'm talking to you about the PAAL. We here at Protostar Corporation know many of your out there, have been wondering how best to tackle the task of exploring Nexus especially all on your own. So we created the PAAL, or the Personal Assistant Algorithm. This handy device acts as a communicator, a computer, links to your other devices, gives you status updates, and keeps your head in the game...so to speak. if the game is taming and exploring a vast wilderness that may or may not want to kill you. In short for only a slightly barely noticeable inflated price we will be giving your one true friend in the world.

There may be an initial calibration period where you PAAL attempts to guide you through all the various data it collects and inform you how best to make use of this. Protostar scientists worked long hours to determine the right ratio of helpful prompts just for you, with two distinct modes depending on your initial skill level, verbose and off.

Giving you a true PAAL. For Money!

Disclaimer: Protostar is not responsible in any manner for your ability to make or not make friends, aka pals.

PAAL

This is a universal slot for general specials and set slots. It uses the CBC system. It is the only item slot that will ever have two set slots, more basic models will not have these. This item slot is designed to be molded to taste and at higher item levels allow mixed sets to become a possibility. It's main drawback is that its power amp is always half powered, figuring out how to best optimize the slots with the power available will be the challenge.

Implementation:

-This slot will use the CBC System and make use of Slot-Restricted Microchips.
    -Items of this Slot can be socketed with General Special Microchips.
    -The Power Amplifier Microchip is always locked and the amp is always half powered for its item level.
    -The Power Amplifier Microchip can not be extracted or modded.
    -Random Stat Chips will draw from any source but Support Power will be favored.

Lore: Hello again! This is Phineas T. Rotostar. Do you find yourself far from home on a regular basis? Do you want to look your best even after hours stomping through the wilds? Do you want a statistically marginal but not so minor as to have no impact better chance of surviving Nexus? Do you like healthy nutritious rations full of bio enhancing nanites? If you said yes to any of those questions, then I might just have the thing for you. The Survival Kit, Rations, and Med-Eprobes or SKRaM for short. What does this wonder do you ask? Well with a little Protostar science and know how it provides healthy food and water laced with Med-Eprobes, it has a grooming kit, a thermal blanket, a small single person tent, a mending kit to keep your clothes looking good even with a few extra holes in it, and much more!

The Med-Eprobes also make sure you have access to all your vitals data, provide telemetry of incoming threats as well as how best to lay down your own purely defensive fire in retaliation, with a little computational assistance from your PAAL. The probes can also help slow or prevent mild irritants like maddening disease or lethal poison as well as provide some marginally improved natural healing! Survive in style with the SKRaM today!

Building a better you from the inside out. For Money!

SKRaM

This is a universal slot for designing favored proc mechanics in a single item. It uses the CBC system. It is the only item that is not providing benefit 100% of the time, it can only proc in combat and has an uptime of 10 seconds to 1 minute based on item level, additional procs will reset the timer. The advantage of this item slot is it gives players more control over RNG procs but at the expense of possibly leaving them dangerously close to be knocked out.

Implementation:

-Items of this Slot can be socketed with General or Armor Special Microchips.
    -Items of this slot are proc based adding the stats and specials when the item procs, the proc chance is based on the item rarity level and increases in chance when health is below 50%. This increase is equal to the normal proc chance for every 1% below 50. Thus a 1% proc chance would have a 21% chance to proc at 30% health. Uptime of proc is 10s to 1m based on item level.
    -If this slot has not proc'd it provides none of its stats or specials.
    -If one of the specials is a proc the item takes the lower proc chance of its rarity or the Special Microchip's proc chance.
    -Random Ability Chips will draw from General, Armor, or Weapon proc Chips that involve recovery.

Lore: Welcome, Phineas T. Rotostar here. We all get tired of doing the same old same old, be it exploring, improving town, scanning that rock, or blowing the faces off our enemies. When things get like that's when we turn to our hobbies and interests for a nice change of pace. Thus I want to introduce you the customer to our official Protostar Corporation line up of entertainment goods! We have everything you can imagine and then some, portable game devices, smart playing cards, holovid novels, fuzzy logic dice, and more.

Try these wonderful devices today and add some spice back into your conquering of Nexus. Think that beast is a push over? Try taking it down while playing a hand of virtual cards against your PAAL, give yourself a time limit, or even catch up on your favorite Protostar endorsed vid series!

Challenging you with FUN. For Money!

Disclaimer: Protostar Corporation is not responsible for unintended definitions of fun or improper use of fun.

Entertainment

This is a universal slot for Item Challenge Microchips. A way of enhancing ones Item Challenge benefits as well as adding on to their mental abilities. A good portion of its power is directed to Item Challenge chips, while it always has one locked in item challenge chip and the random stat chips are drawn from the more 'mental' based stats.

Implementation:

-Items of this Slot can be socketed with General and Item Challenge Microchips.
    -Schematics for this slot will always use 20%, 30%, or 40% of their power on item challenge chips.
    -At least one item challenge chip slot will always be locked.
    -This locked slot is not extractable or moddable.
    -Random Stat Chips for this item will be selected from mental stats.

Lore: Greetings, Phineas T. Rotostar with you today to talk about how you wear your equipment. Now some might think, I don't need a holster or a belt to carry my pistol or I don't want that Protostar brand electrostatic bandoleer to keep my sword close and ready to use at a moments notice. To them I say, think again! It's not just being prepared, no it's about style and looking like you know what you're doing. Nothing says prepared like Protostar tactical rigging sets. Don't worry Protostar approved fashionistas have made sure your tac rig always matches with whatever you're wearing, it'll be like it was already part of your outfit.

Not sold? On top of style and being ready for your next fight, our tac rigs give you safety from your own weapons, providing a not statistically insignificant boost to prevent self inflicted injury. Additionally it has pouches and clips to make sure you have a small number of readily accessible items to most benefit you in the field.

Providing style, safety, and preparedness. For Money!

Tac Rig

This is a universal slot for a micro 'bag' and Stamina ARCs. The item adds a few more bag slots for inventory and is always useful as it has stamina plus one other ARC chip locked in, either for personal use, alts, or selling. Primarily a customizable stat set up, it has an additional bonus of being able to slot ability chips that can reduce cooldowns for abilities.

Implementation:

-Items of this Slot can be socketed with General, Chest, or Leg Special Microchips.
    -Schematics for this slot will always use 10%, 15%, or 20% of their power on two attribute relay chips.
    -At least two Attribute Relay Chips will be always be locked, one of these two will always be a stamina ARC.
    -These locked slots are not extractable or moddable.
    -Random Ability chips will draw from any source that offers ability cooldown reductions.
    -This item provides a few extra inventory slots based on the item level and rarity of the item.
    CRB_PChan likes this.
  15. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

Been alot of cool idea's going through here since I last posted, but I mostly have a question.

How much longer are Carbine looking for idea's suggestions for a new item slot? I haven't been able to think of anything meaningful in awhile, but i'd like to get one more in before this closes sometime in the future.

Also @Pchan.

I was under the impression that the slot we're trying to come up with could have some special effect that could be easily implemented with no extra art assets. While having path items and other stuff could be awesome within this as well, you're also trying to design an item that doesn't give path's the ability to become a requirement for raiding/dungeoning so item creation becomes abit harder within that as well.

If we created a PvP-Item slot... that brings up alot more design questions.

What about the people who don't want to PvP? Especially since we HAVE to almost do strictly PvE content to get to 50 to do arena's (well, I don't know how much we'll have to do battlegrounds and whatever other pvp options are available sooner)... making a PvP only item-slot, while awesome in theory for the pvpers.. would make the PvE Side jealous because it's an item that they're forced to do PvP content to get... Unless the item gave PvP stats only... which I believe you guys have mentioned that PvP gearing would be designed in such a way where it wouldn't translate into PvE very well.

I have more thoughts on this, but as of right now.. i'm drawing a huge blank... But having an item strictly be pve or pvp brings up questions and well.. I can see it being the basis of ALOT of arguements, especially when trying to keep things as balanced as possible but making people feel awesome(r) when they equip it.
  16. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Star Band

So far there is no "wrist" item slot. This could either replace it or go along with it.

I think this is better feature than a standard wrist slot. 1) It sounds more related to the game. 2) It can be more interesting.

Here is an example

Omni Star

-Fits in Star Band item slot

- 200 Intelligence (Magic Power) - Moddable Chip
    -200 Stamina (Health Attribute/or Sheild) - Locked Chip
    -200 Crit Rating - Moddable Chip

STAR SOCKET
    The star has an inactive CORE socket

-These could be achieved through either just one of these or more than one/all; Raiding, Questing, Adventures, Warplots, Professions, Vendors, Dungeons

Example of a Core

I rather these be more in depth personally, but this is a quick sample and not a suggestion

Grand Core
    -Increases all Star Power by 20%

Great Core
    -Increases all Star Power by 15%

Good Core
    -Increases all Star Power by 10%
  17. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

Perhaps what I meant to say wasn't communicated very well- I apologize. I was pointing out my belief that the thematic strength of a racial or trophy slot was enough that there was a case for developing the slot without 3D Art (the expensive art assets that we're avoiding).

I was making a snap observation about the absence of PvP or PvP related suggestions- something I expected would come up, but had not.

In his opening post, Primus said that he was intentionally being careful with his feedback so that no idea would be left off the table and discussion could continue without his interference. I fear that I may have done what he was attempting to avoid.

I merely wanted to commend everyone on their well thought out ideas, not steer the discussion.
    Roland Daemon likes this.
  18. Iggy Winters

Iggy Winters New Cupcake

Personally, without having had any experience with the game outside of reading available lore and watching gameplay videos to get a feel of the aesthetics, it's a bit difficult to nail down a purpose for this proposed item slot. I think this is why a lot of the items being suggested, great as they are, have a certain influence stemming from each of our own MMORPG experiences.

Should this item be another stat doll? If it is, should it be different? Should it matter more than the other slots in defining a player's choice/playstyle? e.g. sacrificing damage for speed
    Someone suggested an item that would give both positive and negative stats. Countless others, myself included, suggested items which are pretty much stat dolls (with the CBC system integrated, which is a plus) but with a theme that could suit Wildstar.

Should it have an activated effect?
    Seen a few of these suggestions. Similar to the Relic slot for SW:TOR. WoW had these too but they weren't restricted to a specific slot (I think? Been a while since I played WoW). Probably difficult in Wildstar unless there's another skillbar for consumables/items.
    Should it have a passive proc effect?
    Again, something that probably comes from the various games we all have played. It'll add another layer of balancing that Carbine will have to do to avoid having one that is more desirable than others, or could possibly create issues between PvE and PvP gameplay.

Should it -only- have passive effects?
    This is where a lot of the path/class only suggestions headed to, granting stats and some sort of buff to a particular Path/Class/Race. Some suggestions that I liked are the datapad/communicator ones. Those would avoid having Path/Class/Race restrictions yet still function as suggested. If the effect would be "locked" when the item is obtained it could (I stress the word 'could') encourage trading/socialising. Otherwise, an item that gives a passive effect to either all Paths/Classes but only applies to the Path/Class of the player (e.g. Item X gives +1% Pathfinding/+1% Research/+1% damage when Soldier does that defending Path quest thing/+1% Building, but will only apply the one thing to the current player's Path)

Should it not have too much a defining effect on role/play-style/class/race/what have you but more an added cool factor? In other words, will this be a "main" item?
    Trophies/weapon sheaths/floating nearby (+1 to the person who suggested this. I too started my journey into massive virtual worlds from MUDs)/class or race mementos. Items like these wouldn't "stand out" much without added art assets. Someone suggested that a title be attached to something like trophies, which I think is a pretty cool idea instead of the now commonplace drop-down menu title selection.
    +1 to Yoro for attempting to narrow down what the community wants instead of each of us pursuing our own ideas (as much as I hate to admit, a little part of my suggestion is what I want, so maybe others are too).

I don't know. I always encourage my friends to have a little perspective, a little objectivity when it comes to the games they choose to play. Some can be overly critical about the little things, making unreasonable comparisons, or let nostalgia get the better of them.

Just a little rant, a little input, a little of what I liked about what I've read in this thread so far, and that little bit of me still yearning I can be a somewhat integral part of this. Yoro's right about that dream of being a dev. I did do an Arts degree in Games :p
  19. Roland Daemon

Roland Daemon Cupcake-About-Town

I apologize if I sounded harsh in my post. Looking back, I could have sounded nicer in that respect. That one little line had me thinking like craaazzyyy and wanted to get clarification. If it was earlier in the development cycle where things were still being discussed/chosen.. I think a pvp slot item would have definitely been an awesome argument (for and against) to have in regards to the item-slot design.

Thanks for the response though.. more than I deserved for that post.
  20. Banelight

Banelight New Cupcake

What about a swoppable "buff" slot, that is class specific, and is "worked" on (upgraded) as you level through the game, ulitmately completeing as a class specific buff with nice stats when you reach elder game?

It can be a crafted Item, that you add to as you level, which also allows you to choose what you deem more important as you play your own way.

Example:

Warrior

Maybe a buff mod that gives armor/Hp or armor/HP regen to level/quest. But when doing instances swop out for one that gives health regen /deflect (either melee or ranged) depending on what instance requires.It can be single or group buff. Maybe a different one that you work on as you PvP that gives increased pvp dmg stats or defense.

Esper

Maybe buffs that give sheild /deflect when questing. When in group gives power/mana regen or maybe group smaller increased offensive stats.

Healer class

Maybe a group regen when in group, or mana power/mana regen when questing.

Basically it means that groups can customise the way groups are setup, allowing for a deeper memeber integration in a raid etc...and correctly done they can all greatly compliment each other. For example:

A group normally has a tanky class, good dps, and healer/support characters. Lets say the healer runs a health /HP regen buff, and the esper runs a power/mana regen buff (I use mana as I dont know what term is used in game...generally mages and healers depend on the blue stuff :) ) if everybody always has exactly the same buffs, its always the same....with indivudual variable buffs a groups can takle a difficult situation/raid in many different ways with exactly the same grp, using different buff setups

The idea is that the "mods"core parts are earned doing certain class/race specific quest lines. The minor materials can be crafted/gathered/bought while questing. Whats nice about this is that each player makes it their own way, gives a sense of achievment and personal goalposts reached. So it would be like an "Ultimate Class Buff" when they reach elder game. whilest playing they would use/craft smaller weaker versions...with plenty variatoins possible between race and class. The "bucket" Idea can hold the different class's core components, so the cbc would be used to make the rest.

One my favourite things I enjoy in MMo's etc is a sense of standing out individualy with gear that doesnt have exactly the same stats as the next person because everybody ends up with the same gear. The buffs can also include different colour aura's etc...allowing for furthur "signature"character looks. Everybody always wants to stand out...and have to explain how the hell they "that specific" mod/buff

Anyways I think you get the general Idea ;)

Banelight out
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.