1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Exclusive - Design an Item Slot

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Proposal for item slot.
    So I’ve read though a few of the suggestions and I thought I should throw in a suggestion as well.

Titel - <Home Charm>

Theme – Most itemization in mmo’s concentrate on “power” improvements, like primary stats and hit/crit and other combat oriented stats, This item slot will be focused on improving “out of combat stuff” while also benefitting in combat (both due to making the item scalable higher ratings better item etc, but also to make it more attractive to players that are not as attracted to “gathering / crafting stuff - <insert better name>”

Implementation – The item will use the CBC system combined with the spell system
    Item will have 3 Chips,

1 - will be random and locked – a primary stat increase (ARC Chip) - (Strength, Technology, Dexterity, Wisdom and Magic)

2-3 will be an Ability chip – these chips are locked together as a pair where you would Change the power count towards one or the other or have a healthy balance between the two as you see fit, these chips will be none locked and extractable.

The ability list will be locked to a specific genre of chips <“Out of combat ability chips” –insert better name>
    These skills will include but not be limited to:

1: Mining: 2 split is-
    1a: Larger amount from nods
    1b: better quality from nods​

Both would be scalable from the amount of power put into them due to several layers of quality ie copper, tin gold etc. and amount is always scale-able​

2-3-4… Other gathering skills kind of the same formula as the mining example

5: For crafting, it could be something like cost Vs quality would you like the cost of the crafting to go down or a better chance of crafting a better quality item (chance for higher power level)

6: For home improvements: Cost vs. Time, how much does the plug / upgrade cost / how long does it take to build /could go for war plots as well even though it’s harder with multiple players)

These are a few of the ideas I could come up with.

Additionally if time / resource would allow - The home charm could be made into a item like symbol for your home plot, a sign to have hanging above your entrance or something like that with a rather simple “miner logo” with the color of the stat it improves (if primary stats have a color specific to the stat).

Possible issues / solutions - the first and biggest issue I see with this is, why not have 1 for each of the gathering 1 for each of the crating etc. This is an issue and would make it more of a pain swapping between them all the time, and then when getting ready for the raid only concentrate on your primary stat so have one with that as well.
    Possible solution (hope others have better solutions for this) - Make it a ~once a day changeable item you can’t change your Charm constantly there is a cool down for the item change of around 18-22 Hours so you can’t do the constant swapping.

That’s it for now.
    Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend!
  2. Arckanum

Arckanum New Cupcake

Mechawings Slot or boosterbackpack slot both use CBC system
  3. Siv

Siv New Cupcake

Personal Communications Device (PCD)

"Introducing the NEXUSphone 77G! This sleek yet powerful device is revolutionizing the face of communcation on Nexus! Adventurers, don't be left with last month's modest 76G PCD's. In the face of danger mere nano seconds can mean the difference between being on the wrong end of a Deadstar Rifleman's blaster and triumphantly standing above it's smoking corpse. And that's exactly what the NEXUSphone 77g will buy you. From Explorers to Soldiers we have the latest apps to help manage your very busy life. Optional accessories like carbonite carrying case and the YOURplot docking stations sold seperately."

Now available for a measly 99 copper (with Lifetime contract agreement) at your local NexusMobile Kiosk."

This slot will feature the character's Personal Communication Device. In our society everyone is running around with a smart phone in their pocket and in the future I only expect that concept to continue as technology advances. It's only fitting to assume in a setting such as WildStar that such devices are not only present but vital to everyone. Performing a multitude of tasks it could thematically fill several roles for the character.

This paper doll slot would require no new artwork, since you likely have existing item images that would be suitable. It would require no graphical representation on the character nor would it require any animations. It would also afford the opportunity to put in some clever easter eggs in the form of the "i-communictar 9000" or the "Galaxy s4336g". The Item would use the CBC and would house general microchips cleverly disguised as apps.
  4. Tuckles

Tuckles New Cupcake

Apologies if something similar's been posted, and if it's a little vague, as I'm not really well-versed in W*'s item system, but here's my idea:

Personal Computer
    The personal computer is an evolution of today's Smartphone or PDA, a device essential to every adventurer. It is his or her very soul: inventory, GPS, social media and even bank account are discreetly dealt with in its tiny form factor. Even the adventurer's heads-up display is generated by its powerful quantum processors. The Personal Computer slot is a universal slot for stats pertaining to supporting the adventurer and his or her allies.

Implementation:
    The slot will use the CBC system (as required by the design specifications):
    • Items of the slot can socketed with General or, if they exist, Gadget Special Microchips.
    • Schematics of this slot will always assign 10%, 20% or 30% of their power to a random stat ARC.
    • Schematics of this slot will always assign 10% or 20% of their power to Support Power.
    • The above two microchips will be Locked in and not removeable or moddable.
    Finally, I know this is technically against the rules, but maybe once your art team has some time on their hands, special PCs or low power microchips could be made that change the skin of your character's HUD. Basic ones could change the default blue to different colors, while more advanced ones could maybe add race or class-specific themes (nature-y stuff for the Aurin, gears and metallic finishes for the Mechari, etc.)

Edit: lawl, looks like the above poster had the same idea as I did. :D
  5. Zilvoran

Zilvoran New Cupcake

Just re-read through the thread and there are some really good suggestions.
    And for the heck of it here's another, since I can't remember if anyone has suggested it yet, a Towel slot.
    *runs away*
  6. Prometheus

Prometheus Cupcake

Socks

Underwear for your feet. What's the first thing you put on in the morning? Socks!
    Your neighbour has some, do you? Want to keep your feet protected, warm, and dry? You sir or madam need socks!
    They come in all shapes, sizes, and colours, but once you shoes are on no one can see them. Everyone's got socks, everyone needs socks, just think where would galactic society be without socks? Horrible, isn't it?

Mechanics
    Primary purpose would boost things related to movement. (jumping, move speed, etc.)
    Secondarily they would also provide some armour bonuses as well.

Side note: I'm not sure I understand the CBC system and microchips. So I didn't include actual Wildstar mechanics here. Sorry.
  7. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

Reviewed for any official suggestion of this, didn't see one other than a brief mention from Shadowclasper, but this is something I came up with today:

Intergalactic, Stellar, Portal Opener Organizer....or Keychain

Hello friends. Is your new Protostar individual manufactured home starting to feel up with pesky keys? Tired of opening a kitchen drawer for a simple Spork and having to dig through piles and piles of little metal keys and access cards? Well suffer no more! Included with all new home sales is the new and improved Protostar Keychain! Made from rugged materials your Protostar Keychain keeps you organized and ready to go. Your house keys, your friend's housekeys, your neighbor's house keys, your plutonium fueled hyperscooter keys, your rollerskate keys, your piano keys! If it's a key, this ring is for it. And worry no more, our new key chains are spring loaded and not those annoying little rings that you have to pry open with your fingernails that can't hold those thick keys that you get and end up making you break a nail. Also we found in our testing groups that the Granok had no fingernails and could not load keys, and the Drakken...well...patience isn't their strong suit.

Implementation:

Everyone will start with a basic keychain when the slot opens after getting their first house. The keychains will be compatible with the chip crafting and will always have one slot locked based on the design of the keychain. For example finding a "Lucky Space Rabbit's Tentacle" would provide +2 luck and dodge and other stats would be moddable. Chips would appear as keys being added to the ring to augment the player stats. For example finding a "Heavy Stone Skeleton Key" would add STR due to the weight and be +1,000 to glass houses.

This could also open the ability to have bonuses based on the number of keys you can collect. This could be done through getting a large number of spacecraft (mounts) or having access to lots of people's houses (social achievements).
  8. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

Back in Classic World of Warcraft I had a bag in my bank of Soul Shards created from specific opposing faction players. I can't remember if this was a base UI feature, or if I had some sort of mod that tracked where it came from, but I remember each one had the name of the player it came from in the tool tip.

For a PVP'er that would be a great vanity, to have something in their equipment that when other players examined them it would list the specific player that died to create it/them
  9. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Disclaimer: I do not know the specifics of how stats should function and nor will I pretend to or attempt to go into any sort of elaborate details. Despite this hindrance on my end in my lack of knowledge (ironic enough for this idea), I hope that my suggestion can still be considered valid.

Introduction
    First of all, hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this!

I've had a thought occur to me on what could be used for an item slot that does not require any new art assets and that also can function for both the organics (Cassians, humans, Aurin, Draken, etc.) and the mechanics (Mechari) / minerals (Granoks). This was the hardest part for me, as I could come up with quite a few things that could work for biological beings, but that just didn't make sense in a robot. This idea came to me when I was searching through different types of technology breakthroughs, and I thought, "How cool would it be to take this and advance it by around 100 years and implement it in the WildStar universe?" :]

Sources

Item Proposal
    Neural Imprinter

Description
    The Protostar Corporation proudly announces their latest piece of technology that no adventurer will want to go without - the Neural Imprinter!

A Neural Imprinter is a device that is implanted into the cerebral cortex to ingrain information into the memory of the subject instantaneously. This is a rapid process in which the subject's brain patterns are modified or hacked by the Neural Imprinter to create a behavior or to install information/skills that would normally need to be learned. Gone are the days of needing to train, study, or practice for hours! With the Neural Imprinter, you'll gain the skills and know-how you'll need in almost no time at all! One simply needs to consult with a friendly Protostar bot, who will gladly conduct the procedure in a timely manner. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Each individual Neural Imprinter comes with its own set of pre-programmed bits of knowledge, and given the complexity with both the brain and this technology, a person can only have one Imprinter implant at a time. However, these devices may be switched out, upgraded, and replaced at any time.

Implementation
    Below, you will find a few examples of just what each Neural Imprinter is capable of. Keep in mind, this is just a sample, as the possibilities are virtually endless!

• Tanking
    -Determination
    Implant this Neural Imprinter, and you'll feel your willpower be boosted to overcome almost anything. The duration of stuns, fears, immobilizes, silences, and other undesirable effects can be greatly reduced when you just have a little resolve.

-Confidence
    Own the battlefield and steal all the attention! Become empowered, and demand all focus be on you. Improve your ability to greatly taunt and keep the attention of all your opponents so that all eyes are on you, oh fearless leader.

-Defensive Meditation
    Learn how to properly steel your body and thrive in battle by turning a bad situation into a good one. More hordes? The better! Each physical hit you take is greatly reduced, and the energy instead is converted into health. The effect of this can stack up to a certain degree while in combat so that your potential health can reach extraordinary levels! Once out of combat though, you'll exit this meditative-like state, and your health therefore will drop down to its natural levels.

• DPS
    -Identify Weak Spots
    Your knowledge of vulnerable points on a wide variety of hostiles is greatly improved with this Neural Imprinter. Your attack damage will be increased indefinitely, and you'll even have a chance to reduce their armor greatly for a short time.

-Adrenaline Boost
    Mobility is important on the battlefield, as is speed! Move faster and attack quicker, while possibly slowing your enemy's attack speed in the process. (Heart attacks are a common side effect, so don't overdue it!)

-Rage Motivation
    Fight harder and longer when you're consumed with rage! Gain insight from your madness to increase your magic so that you can fight for days. This incredibly powerful fury will even, from time to time, keep you alive from a blow that would normally kill you, if only just. (Warning: Some test subjects have found it hard to stop experiencing anger.)

• Healing
    -Restorative Comprehension
    Learn how to more quickly heal your friends and yourself when in the heat of battle. Cooldowns will be reduced so that you can cast those spells more often, and mana will replenish more rapidly when you gain skill in the art of healing from this enhancement.

-Inspiring Presence
    Simply being there to support your allies can greatly effect their ability to perform in combat. Through the art of magic, you learn to encourage your companions so that they gain some armor, harmful magic resistance, and health regeneration by merely being near you!

-Sense of Urgency
    Being able to crank out those heals can be important when fighting for your life and the lives of others. The speed in which you heal can be greatly improved with this Neural Imprinter teaching you how! You may also have some heals instantly cast for you.

• Bonuses
    While the main purpose of these devices currently is to improve the subject's proficiency in combat, Protostar is working on some prototypes of more advanced Neural Imprinters that include other advantages and improvements as well, simply for the purpose of fun. These can include such things as being able to know an assortment of dance moves from across multiple planets, the ability to read backwards, knowing all of the greatest pick-up lines, having the skill to remember trivial facts, being able to recite pages of dull inspirational history upon will, and so forth! The possibilities are endless! (These could be included in small notes in the item description. Great for silly/fun roleplaying purposes!)

Conclusion
    And there you have it - the Neural Imprinter! Augmenting one's self was a common practice for the great Eldan. Whether you're a follower or theirs or not, the fact of the matter is, they knew their stuff! Protostar Corporation looks to gain from their technology in a new and (relatively) safe manner that everyone - be they Exile or Dominion - can gain from! In a world where everyone wants things instantly, don't be left in the dust as your friends and foes surpass you while you're taking the time to learn something the old fashioned hard way! Have a Neural Imprinter implanted into your head!

The future is today, and today is looking like a cinch! :up:

Shalanigh, Joukehainen, Lumzk and 7 others like this.
  10. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

Like Fate's idea: it's pretty straight forward, doesn't need to be shown on the character (though some people mentioned auras) and shouldn't be too hard to implement dev side. Not sure how it'd work with the microchip enhancement system (kind of is like a microchip itself xD) but I like it.
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  11. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with the charms idea. The unseen nature of the slot, art wise, would allow you to come up with some pretty cool items that would act as nostalgia trophies as well as useful items. They also don't have to be magic in nature (however they can).

Example1. Skarl's Cybernetic Tooth

[List of microchips and associated stats]
    "Skarl paid an arm, a leg, and a few teeth for that....lucky you were there to collect."

or

Example2. Moodie Mask Carving

[List of microchips and associated stats]
    "You once saw a moodie without a mask on. Now you know why they wear them"

Due to the list of restrictions, there are not many unique things you can do with the item in terms of this slot having specific boost and effects without upsetting the CBC system. I also believe any special abilites others are mentioning would be covered in the Special Circuits.

In the vein of more class independent items, you could divide the slot into more generic items. Due to the fact that you are trying to smooth progress for ALL players it is hard to make it class specific in anything other than the icon art and name.

Example1: A quest hands out an item that goes into your new slot. The diferent classes see the item as follows.
    Warrior gets an "Insignia/Badge"
    Esper recieves "Holo-tome"
    Stalker recieves "Trophy"
    Spellslinger recieves "Sigil/Carved Elden Stone"
    [Insert ideas for unrevealed classes lol].

Edit: Re-reading your post I see you would like to also no what KIND of special circuits would go here like movment bonuses only going with feet.

I'm thinking that they would provide a boost to passive regeneration of health and how often you can dodge. Things that a better moral would be associated with.
  12. Iggy Winters

Iggy Winters New Cupcake

Just curious what happened to this little project.
  13. CRB_PChan

CRB_PChan Carbine Studios

We have a list- we are paring down candidates to hand over to community. Stay tuned!
    Crimzen, Yakzan, Eliat_kuni and 3 others like this.
  14. MrWASDclick

MrWASDclick Cupcake

Ah, too late to throw in my idea?

PROC Device (Produces Random Odd Chaos Device)

A device that allows it's bearer to bend the fabric of space-time in a variety of weird and interesting ways. Want a chance to see lightning shoot out of your sword when you smack an enemy? PROC it! Maybe you'd prefer a small boost to your shields whenever you use a spell? PROC it! Summon cute fluffy critters when someone scores a damaging hit against you? PROC IT!

Implementation

It's a CBC system that can only slot the special effect chips. No stats, just those fun little effects.

+ Power Core is non-moddable, so players will need to find ever-stronger PROC Devices to keep adding augments.
    + CBC features a limited number of branches as well, limiting potential additions of special effects.
    + Can slot any kind of special slot, but only one of each type. So no stacking four weapon effects.
    + Allows players to keep particular special effects that they really like, such as a run speed increase, even if their new pair of awesome boots doesn't have a way of slotting the run speed chip.
  15. koiin

koiin New Cupcake

each time i find something new about this game i just love it even more .
  16. Trahma

Trahma Cupcake

*Gasp* I had unfortunately missed this post as I only recently stumbled upon this fantastic site, but I must say what a great opportunity the community was given here. Thirteen pages later I must admit many of the ideas people posted are incredibly creative and often very humorous, I am most definitely looking forward to reading the list of candidates.
  17. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

Wow this is awesome . I can't wait to see which ones they liked best.
  18. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

I am probably too late but ill toss an idea out.

Item: Galaxy Gems

Gem that contains the power of the cosmos

How it works: You get bonuses based on what you kill based on the enemy type or actions performed.

This gem would allow to have three hardcoded stat paths along with CBC capabilities.
    In order to draw out the power of each stat path you must perform certain actions.

Once you start a path, you cant change it. You start a path by activating your Galaxy Gem, then the next action you take will unlock the first of three paths.

Lets say you kill a Turtle - The Galaxy Gem unlocks the first path, granting you +1% Grit (100/1000)
    Once you kill enough turtles you will get to (1000/1000) and max out the stat bonus for that path.

Lets say you like to jump a lot - Activate your Galaxy Gem and start jumping. You gain bonuses to jump, such as height, hang time, etc...

Lets say you like to mine - Activate your Galaxy Gem and mine. Bonus could be "Increased chance to spawn mine monster by x%

The Galaxy Gem could be customized in any way you want. Each Galaxy Gem Path could have Tiers as well. So if you wanted to create a Galaxy Gem that was purely to boost jumping. YOu would Activate your Galaxy Gem three times and jump after each activation. This would allow you to achieve a Tier 3 jumping boost.

Sorry not alot of time to make this pretty or write lore, but that is my input lol.
  19. Spur

Spur New Cupcake

... Why not just a vanity slot that adds on the appearance of whatever you toss on?

For example, perhaps you are already wearing a hat, but want to also have, say, goggles. You can equip goggles in the vanity slot. Or screw the goggles, you want a cape. You can equip a cape in the vanity slot.

The item equipped in the vanity slot will go onto the player at item-specific locations. That way, if you equip a cape, it won't end up coming out of your eye sockets thinking it's actually a pair of goggles.

This way, players can wear backpacks, belts, floating rocks that follow them around, whatever they want to add on to make their character unique. Maybe even a shoe-hat to add movement speed. Each item would have unique effects and placement. This way, if someone had a really awesome idea for a unique item at the company, but there was no slot to put it in, you wouldn't have to sacrifice your extra shoulder armor for the style of a cape.
  20. Impaler

Impaler Cupcake

Sorry Spur, if you took the time to read the OP you would have read that the developers do not want to add more art assets to the game for this slot. So your idea wont work.

Here is a rough outline of what the guidelines for this slot are, taken from the OP.

1. Make getting rewards awesomer!
    2. We are adding slots so that we can increase the number of rewards given out.
    3. These items should be easy to pass out on quests or dungeons.
    4. These items will use Circuit Board Crafting and Modding, because we want to have incremental rewards related to them (microchips and power amps).
    5. New slots must use existing technology. This basically means we have to limit the amount of code time required to add these, so we can't do anything crazy like "a slot that changes every animation for every ability."
    6. No new art assets! Unfortunately this means we cannot make a new visible slot, no matter how cool and innovative it is.
    7. New Slots should not require space on the Limited Action Set (LAS). This means no “clickies”.
    8. Items should scale in power with their level, not the player’s level. Generally flat increases are better than % increases. We do not want players to farm low level areas to get the best Weapon in the game because it has the only +10% to all stats Special. A “self-revive injector” has a similar problem – it is just as good at Elder Game, if not better.
    Some of these restrictions are not absolute, but we like to pretend that they are. We want to create fun, but we have a finite amount of resources to do so. We are really looking for the best bang for the buck, so to speak. It does not take a ton of work to add a new slot that just gives stats, but we are passed the phase of development where we can justify creating whole new systems, or redesigning entire swaths of content.​
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.