1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Needs You! Team Mod Accepting Applicants

Discussion in 'Community News' started by Zap-Robo, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and germs,

It has come to that time where WildStar Central is ready to swell the ranks of Team Mod again. These stalwart defenders against trolls, leakers and other nefarious individuals are stretched to the limit and need succour in the form of (perhaps) you!

Specifically, we once again looking for three (3) individuals to step up to the "lofty" position of Team Mod. Duties will include (but are not limited to)...
    • General Forum Moderation
    • Wiki Article Generation and Maintenance
    • WildStar News Location and Posting (in a timely manner)
    • Video/Audio Media Location and Submission
    Interested? Then simply email your application to admin@wildstar-central.comwith (at least) the following information....
    • Your forum handle
    • Your availability for the above duties (e.g. timezone, hours available to contribute)
    • Your previous applicable experience (e.g. forum moderation, fansite admin, etc.)
    Deadline for applications will be 7th June 2013 - the accepted applicants will be notified shortly thereafter and announced on WSC (with a full staff recap).

NOTE: Applicants who are currently in the WildStar Beta are welcomed, but the NDA remains in effect - you should not discuss your participation with myself or any other Team Mod members.

I look forward to reading your applications!

My best,
    Voison, Alaxor, Yakzan and 2 others like this.
  2. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on a few mod duties for me? I don't know if I apply (much less if I even remotely have the qualifications you'd want for a mod) but I'm a bit curious about a few of the duties nonetheless. Specifically I'm curious about:
    I'll start with the wiki. I guess it's right to assume that mods would basically be taking whatever game info they find and add it to the wiki? Is it required to actively contribute to the wiki or is it mostly just add something when you feel like it but keep the wiki concise and informative (and obviously leak free)? Would a lot of wiki experience be required or will you or other mods train the new mods so that they can work the wiki?

How does the news articles get posted up by mods? By this question, I mean who on the mod crew posts what stories and how is that determined or is it just whoever can get there first and post it up? What kind of Wildstar/WSC news is required to be posted or is every smidgen of information newsworthy enough to warrant a news post in its respective section?

Finally, I really don't know what that third one is exactly. Would you mind elaborating on the mod duties in that particular field?

If my inquiring about this is in the wrong place, just let me know and I'll delete this post and perhaps PM or e-mail this to you. Thanks in advance for any questions that you or the other mods can answer. :)
    Kethrym likes this.
  3. okccshell

okccshell Cupcake-About-Town

Good luck to any who want the job! Mods can get some hate at times (speaking from previous experience) and it can be a thankless job. Plus, you do it of your own free will! I won't have any time after summer so there's zero chance of me applying, plus that whole "been here less than a week" thing wouldn't be a real selling point. I do, however, fully support our site Mods! You awesome people keep everything in order so the rest of us don't have to! Just had to show some love! :inlove:
    Kethrym likes this.
  4. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I'd apply but I think my post history would count against me :p
  5. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Good luck new Mods if anyone does get the job. Don't be to harsh on the public :D
  6. Greenfox

Greenfox New Cupcake

Too bad i am not enough invested into Wildstar and here generally yet.
    Maybe later on.
    And mostly only for the Areas i would be checking so or so.

As i am takeing a longer leave on my prevoius Betas (real ones) i played.

Just found this site a few days ago ^^. Nearly forgot that Wildstar is out there.
    But then i looked at my wall decor and saw that "Wildstar Swag Bag from Gamescom 2011?" and was like "Ohh, never heard of that again after that. Lets see~".
  7. Yorobashi

Yorobashi Cupcake

Did the same only with my Exile shirt i got from Pax 2011 =p
  8. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

Good luck to all who apply. :)
  9. Bicepticus

Bicepticus New Cupcake

I totally applied! Thanks for the consideration!
  10. Zap-Robo

Pretty much - keeping it relevant, up to date and free of inappropriate content is pretty much it. I'd love to see more general community involvement in the wiki but I guess our members only find value in looking the information up, and not in collating it in the first place.

As to experience with wikis, ours uses the same engine as the forums themselves - if you can make a forum post, you can make a wiki article!

First to jump on it - we hang out on an IRC channel mostly and check that someone is covering breaking news or not there, then post it up accordingly. We try to only report on major community initiatives (like the Eldan Games charity event) or first-gen news (developer interviews, devblog posts, etc.) and avoid opinion and discussion pieces from other sites (such as various vodcasts, podcasts and MMO columns).

WSC endeavours to maintain a friendly and open community that welcomes all ideas and discusses them without the toxic attitude you might expect on other forums. Our moderators are expected to uphold that spirit and are given access to a number of abilities/tools to do so.

Alternatively, if you're referring to the video submissions then it's simply ensuring first-gen video content (official flicks, devspeaks, interviews, etc.) get added to the Media library. Whereas, like news, vodcasts and podcasts discussing WildStar news do not.

Hope this answers your queries!

Update: We are accepting a third moderator at this time due to some upcoming staffing changes. There are a few days left to apply - best get to it :)
    Xlugon Pyro likes this.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

It answers a lot, thanks!

I'll probably pass on the application process. At this point I'm more of a consumer still and I think I'd need more experience before I try to take on mod duties on a popular community site. I don't have very good people/social skills anyway so I don't think I could mod effectively if the community at large isn't on my side.

Good luck to all those that've applied. I'm interested to see who gets the promotion!
  12. Ico

I think you'll see that change as more and more players discover WS, it's only a small group of us that actually post anything to Wiki's!
  13. Zap-Robo

Many thanks to all of the applicants (all 20 of you, including applicants kept on file from last round of recruitment) - I have drawn out a short list and the current Team Mod are deliberating who they feel will be the best fit among their ranks!

Good luck, all! :)
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

15. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Good luck to the applicants, can't wait to see who obtains a monocle. :)
  16. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

I thought about applying but yeah..... Best of luck to everyone who applied tho! :D
  17. Ico

Best of luck guys!
  18. Alaxor

Alaxor New Cupcake

I may have applied but realised too late! Maybe next time :)

Good luck everyone!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.