1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

WSC Retrospective - LND's Eldan Games

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Zap-Robo, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hosted by the cast of the Late Night Dominion livecast (Oroshi, Aegon, Beetle, Blankspace and Nyxis) last month on 18th-19th May, the Eldan Games was the first of it's kind for the WildStar Community - a charity event to raise money for the Child's Play gaming charity.

The hosts of LND set out to raise a massive total of $10,000 by hosting a 24hr gaming livestream filled with entertaining lunacy and gaming for the masses. They were joined by staff from Carbine Studios and members of the WildStar community who donated towards the total.

By the end of the event, they raised an impressive $3,755 for the charity. Event co-ordinator Oroshi said that "... while we set a goal of $10k, this was not the goal I had in my head, more of a goal to encourage donations. I was aiming for the $1k mark, maybe $2k max, to reach $3.7k is out of this world."

Co-host Aegon unfortunately didn't quite survive the full 24hrs of gaming in an awake state but wanted to say "I personally want to thank the entire WildStar Community for all the support they gave us for this event and all the donations that will brings smiles to those kids faces. From Carbine, all the fan-site support, to the Twitter campaign, and even word of mouth, it’s the community that makes any of this even possible."

For his part, Beetle discovered that running an event like this wasn't the easiest task in the world. "24-hours is a long time, and to stream the entire time is quite the task. Overall it was not just “playing games” the entire time; we had things to give away, devs to talk to and get into games with the community, community members to talk to on the RaidCall so they did not feel left out, and there was just a lot of things going on behind the scenes that made the event even more difficult and tiring."

In the end though, it was a community effort and Blankspace couldn't thank the community enough. "I’d like to take a moment to express how happy I am that the Wildstar community came out, donated, stayed up with us, supported us, and inspired us. Some people donated money directly to Child’s Play while others donated in the way of things to giveaway to those who donated money. Everyone who has a fan site out there was giving us exposure for our event and that really helped bring people in."

And finally Nyxis who despite being an active voluteer in offline charity events, was reluctant to participate in one organised by an online community after previous bad experiences. " Boy, am I glad I decided to give it one last shot! The spirit of this community has revitalized my urge to be proactive and helped me personally deter the stigma of online gaming environments. I can honestly say that I am proud to be involved. [...] I’ve walked away from the Eldan Games with lessons learned, fun memories had, and the reinforced belief that the Wildstar community can serve as a beacon of hope for MMOs!"

So to the community perspective of the event, gentlestar opined "It was amazing to think people care this much to take a day out of their lives to hold a charity event for children - having a community come together to show support for each other, plus show Carbine and the gaming world that we're strong as a community already. Watching and playing the games was amazing fun... I loved that I was a part of this event and I can sum up the Wildstar community with one link.

For those who missed the event, then you can still donate today - use the "Donate Now" link at the bottom of the article. Plus, if you missed the fun then Oroshi assured us "... we intend to hold this yearly, will there be something else before May next year, well I have my plans."

( Donate now )
    Kenyar, J3lood_Raven, Rumze and 5 others like this.
  2. Zap-Robo

And for those of you who like a little more verbosity... here's what each of the LND hosts had to say in full!

Oroshi
    As I’m my own biggest critic, there was so much that went wrong, I have a list as long as my arm, the point to myself is I learnt a whole load of new things, running a 24 hour gaming marathon, and streaming it live, is a completely different beast to the one I thought it would be. Dispute all these issues was the event a success, you just need to check the twitter verse, and the blogs about how much fun people had in the Team Fortress 2 matches, and things like Anhrez killing me in Planetside 2, even when we were on the same faction.

Was our choice of games the best, I think most of them yes, keeping it fast paced and high action work the best though like Planetside 2, Team Fortress 2, and Hawken. The Mobos are interesting, and have a large audience, the MMOs they need a lot time, if we have say cap level characters and ran some dungeons they would have worked a lot better. Still thats ideas for the future

While we set a goal of $10k, this was not the goal I had in my head, more of a goal to encourage donations. I was aiming for the $1k mark, maybe $2k max, to reach $3.7k is out of this world.
    Would I run and organise an event like this again hell yeah, we intend to hold this yearly, will there be something else before May next year, well I have my plans, thing something more along the lines of a pay in tournament. Whatever we do next there is sure to be more polish, and organization. Just consider this our ‘Alpha’ next one will be the ‘Beta’.

Aegon
    Child’s Play, Carbine Studios, the Wildstar community, Late Night Dominion, and gaming. These five things came together for one day of marathon gaming to help make the lives of children in need just a little bit brighter. A day filled with fun, community interaction, hope, and lessons learned. Producing a 24-hour live cast is fun and extremely tiring at the same time. While the event was a success and we raised far more than I ever thought we would, not enough to “Free Nyxis”, there were many lesson learned on how to make this event even better in the future. Being the producer I accept the good with the bad and strive to make it more efficacious the next time around. I sadly faltered towards the end and didn’t survive the last few hours, but I tried, that’s all that matters.

As a community we did our best to come up with a large variety of games and guests. We attempted to work the flow in a way to keep as much momentum as possible throughout the 24-hours of gaming we had to fill. Some things worked and others didn’t. Splitting people among games showed us a break in the momentum we had going and not keeping the main streams focus on the games divided the communities attention. Lessons learned and solutions being evolved. Next years will be even better with the goal of bringing in more guests, more viewers, and even more donations.

I personally want to thank the entire Wildstar community for all the support they gave us for this event and all the donation that will brings smiles to those kids faces. From Carbine, all the fan-site support, to the twitter campaign, and even word of mouth, it’s the community that makes any of this even possible. KaeyiDream, it was great having you on and you definitely livened up the room for the time you spent with us and you made that time a much more enjoyable experience. I hope you’ll be back with us next year.

Thank you Carbine for the awesome TF2 matches and coming out to support our cause. CRB_Omen, you gave me a run for the money as sniper, I salute you. CRB_Bardic, you're a monster with that flamethrower, how am I supposed to kill Omen when I'm burning to death? It was amazing to see the gamer in our developers and feel just that more secure in what they are doing to make Wildstar a huge success. I am proud to be a member of the of Wildstar community and grateful that I could help make an impact on the community and bettering the lives of others.

To Carbine and that WildStar community. I thank you again for everything you’ve done to make this possible. Until next year, frag on!

Beetle
    I have learned that 24-hours is a long time, and to stream the entire time is quite the task. Overall it was not just “playing games” the entire time; we had things to give away, devs to talk to and get into games with the community, community members to talk to on the RaidCall so they did not feel left out, and there was just a lot of things going on behind the scenes that made the event even more difficult and tiring.

The event was so much fun to me and I can’t thank everyone enough for the support that was shown. Over $3k donations is amazing to me, and it was for such a great cause. I want to thank the Wildstar community for coming out and helping us through the 24 hours. Especially I would like to thank Carbine and the devs that played games WITH us, I may only know some of you by your in-game handles but I would love to thank all of you for showing up. It was awesome to play games with the Devs that we trust so much to make Wildstar awesome.

Quick shout out: CRB_Bardic (Jen) one day I might actually be able to kill you and your pyro. CRB_Beepz and CRB_Chronos thanks for “letting” me kill you and smack-talk all night! And CRB_Galby for sticking in there and playing some late night Hawken with us. Thank you to all Wildstar Community members, too many to list here but you know who you are! :)

Blankspace
    Last year Oroshi got to do a 24 hour stream called Extra Life, which he really enjoyed doing. I love to do things for charity and spend a few hours a month volunteering down at the local veterans home. I would stream for charity as a full time job if it were possible. I love it! I made sure to get a good nights sleep the night before, bought a bunch of Powerade, and cooked my meals up to be fully prepared for the event. An hour before the event, we were all scrambling to get the final touches on the streams and be ready to rock for all 24 hours. The general idea was to play a bunch of free-to-play games so that anyone could join and come play if they downloaded the games or already had them installed. We tried to pick games that most people would be interested in playing for a few hours at a time and we received community feedback to help us decide which ones. We learned a ton of lessons that we’ll apply to our future charity events!

I’d like to take a moment to express how happy I am that the Wildstar community came out, donated, stayed up with us, supported us, and inspired us. Some people donated money directly to Child’s Play while others donated in the way of things to giveaway to those who donated money. Everyone who has a fan site out there was giving us exposure for our event and that really helped bring people in. We even had a special guest, Kaeyi Dream, come hang out with us along with over a dozen Carbine developers for some amazing TF2 games. Some developers, like CRB_Bardic, spent what felt like most of the day playing games with us. Being a part of this community and trying to be an example of what a few gamers can do when they put some heart and soul into a project for the greater good is amazing. Being supported by the wider community, the developers, and everyone makes me feel so damn proud to be a part of the growing community of Wildstar. I’m not only proud of the money we raised, but by how the community came together to show just how strong our bonds can be when driven by a great cause.

Thank you Wildstar. Thank you everyone in the Wildstar community. I’m just grateful I could be a part of Wildstar’s history.

Nyxis
    What do I have to say to say about the Eldan Games? Well how about I start by expressing my sincerest gratitude towards everyone who supported us, whether Wildstar fan, video game developer, Youtube celebrity, or passer-by. You have helped us raise over $3500 dollars that will go towards making the lives of children a little bit more fortunate!

I have been an active volunteer throughout my entire life, participating in Race for the Cure, Natural Helpers, green projects, among many others, but this was my first online charity experience; it was unique to say the least. Up until recently, I was rather reluctant to get involved in another online community following my experiences with various other games. Boy, am I glad I decided to give it one last shot! The spirit of this community has revitalized my urge to be proactive and helped me personally deter the stigma of online gaming environments. I can honestly say that I am proud to be involved.

The event itself was quite a blast! I was once again reminded of my lack of skill at Smite, hunted on Planetside 2, witnessed Beetle’s first pentakill, ham shanked some Carbine devs on Team Fortress 2, watched Blank & Oroshi wear dresses *hehe*, and much more! I enjoyed every moment up until my sleepy demise 2 hours before the end of the event.

I’ve walked away from the Eldan Games with lessons learned, fun memories had, and the reinforced belief that the Wildstar community can serve as a beacon of home for MMOs!
    Kenyar, Anhrez, gentlestar and 2 others like this.
  3. Diableblanc

Diableblanc Cupcake

Great work by everyone overall ^.^
  4. Teehk

Teehk Cupcake-About-Town

:inlove: Charity! Good job guys
  5. Artefact

Artefact Cupcake

Hi,

I'll always remember this. My first post in this site consisted in giving for EldanGames (I was know as AceJoker, made the 500$ mark btw), but helping children in need is the true reward.
    Thanks to all of you for making it possible.
  6. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Good job all. Wish I could have participated/donated. Hopefully next time.
    It's always interesting to see how a community on a forum comes together in this type of situation. Snark and all.
  7. BrokSamson

BrokSamson Cupcake-About-Town

I was busy so I couldn't join in on the gaming, but still donated. Great cause, hope the kids get some beta invites:)
  8. Zap-Robo

So donate! The link is still open at the bottom of the article :)
  9. Phakz

Phakz Cupcake-About-Town

Nyxis was half asleep 15 hours in :p
  10. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Done.