1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Xbox One: Confirms used game bans, internet requirements, etc.

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by F8L Fool, Jun 6, 2013.

1. F8L Fool

F8L Fool Cupcake-About-Town

After weeks of speculation it is finally official: the Xbox One will enable publishers to block used games and require you to log in to the internet, once every 24 hours.

Used game policy
    For the publishers that choose not to block used games, you can only let one person borrow the game, one time. So if you loan it out to your best friend then try to let your brother use it, the game will not function. Furthermore, the person that is borrowing your game must have been on your friends list for no less than 30 days prior to playing the game, otherwise it will not play.

Xbox One games will also not permit peer-to-peer sales. You must trade in or sale back the game at "authorized retailers", which will clearly include GameStop, since they have publicly supported the platform since before the reveal.

Internet Requirements
    In order to check for game, app, system, and other updates the console will be required to log in to your account via the internet once every 24 hours. If you do not log in you will be unable to play any video games on your console. TV and Blu-Ray functionality will persist regardless of when you last logged in, but none of your games will activate.

However it must be noted that for games that require cloud computation or features—like those implemented by EA in the new Sim City game—you will have to stay connected at all times.

To read all of the information at the official Xbox site, go here: Xbox One: Details on Connectivity, Licensing and Privacy Features
    ______________________________________________​
    Basically Microsoft just abandoned their entirety of their core fan base, by adopting some of the most anti-consumer policies in the history of console gaming. They went above and beyond typical online DRM that some companies have adopted and multiplied it exponentially. It's a sad day for gamers everywhere.​
  2. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Sony must be having a little party right now. All they have to do is be ever-so-slightly less restrictive and more PR-savvy and they'll be in a great position.
    SilentJ likes this.
  3. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

It seems really silly to me if Microsoft is going to do this and Sony isn't- Are they going to be able to get a lot more devs/publishers to be exclusive because they'll be giving money back? I understand we live in a world where most of us are online all the time anyway and that's fine but until the entire US gets caught up on better internet and until we get rid of the bandwidth caps it just doesn't seem like a good idea. Unless someone huge like EA decided to be exclusive with them I don't see how anyone thought this could be a good idea.
  4. F8L Fool

At this point I think it's obvious they will have something similar. There's no way that Microsoft would be this bold without having 100% support from the publishers. If Sony doesn't play along then they will be abandoned by developers and publishers, just like the Wii and Wii U have been, but way worse.

So I agree with you that the key to success for Sony right now is just be less obnoxious about it to come out ahead. Truth be told if they had no DRM I'd buy two PS4's at launch to support them. If the PS4 out sold the Xbox One 10:1 I can guarantee you that publishers would be forced to play ball. Too bad that is pretty much a pipe dream at this point.
    Daynejah likes this.
  5. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Why is the xbox doing this? To be honest, I rarely borrow games but I will buy used games from bargain bins. I don't like the fact that it has to be online at least once day or more depending on the game.
    I enjoy my xbox games , I really do, but I own both xbox and ps3. I didn't pick up the wii u because it just wasn't enough for me, and it seems like Im going to have to pass on the xbox and stick with the ps4.
    If im going to invest in one console with new games and so on, Im going to go with something that at least is trying to cater to the gamer in me.

I don't know. Im on pain killers and wearing an eye patch so Im kinda loopy as it is, but Im disheartened by the direction xbox is taking. Im not a fan boy of any system, I just enjoy good games.
    Ps4 seem to be my new console for the foreseeable future ( of course Ill still play by 360 and ps3 and pc obviously ), especially the way theyre trying to woo indie developers with a promise for no hassle and just use the system to push out their games.
    Daynejah and F8L Fool like this.
  6. kanochi

kanochi Cupcake-About-Town

I think in the end there will always be supporters for both sides no matter what they do people will still end up buying their system. I mean look at Steam it's DRMed out the butt with no way to sale or trade games, I guess at least you don't have to be online if you go into offline mode before you log off lol, but still people buy games on steam all the time.

Not that I'm bashing steam lol, it's a convenient service for getting games. = P
  7. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

Oh, I don't think it will be vastly different. I think Sony will announce something with restrictive DRM and online requirements as well. I just think that if they make a few tweaks - a system to lend to friends that's more lenient and some assurances that GameSpot won't be the only "authorized retailer" that's allowed to purchase used games - and present the message in a more appealing way, they could come out looking like the better option. Realistically speaking, game rentals will be over and used game sales will be severely crippled on either system.

I'm sure many gamers will buy the new systems anyway, regardless of what's announced. Personally, I'm inclined to skip the next generation of consoles.* I've been leaning more toward PC gaming in the last year or two anyway, and there are lots of excellent indie and Kickstarter titles being released in the next couple of years.

*I totally reserve the right to be hypocritical about this if some amazing console exclusive that I just can't live without is released.
  8. Cowboy

Cowboy Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, totally this. I've had at least one of the big consoles from every generation for my whole life. It really saddens me the direction they are choosing to go with consoles this round. I'd much rather put the money I would have spent on a console into my computer instead. I've always enjoyed and favored console gaming by a little bit. I can no longer say that this is the case. PC all the way for me.
    So can't wait for Wildstar!
  9. Lylliannah

Lylliannah New Cupcake

These online requirements that are popping up every where are so, so frustrating. My boyfriend is in the navy. He has a laptop and wants to be able to play games during his free time. More and more games seem to have this stupid DRM attached so that pretty soon he won't be able to relax and unwind at sea any more. The armed forces need their games too, dang it. :mad:
    eselle8 and Kataryna like this.
  10. Daynejah

Daynejah Cupcake

Not that I think it makes it any better but MS has said you just need to let them know you're enlisted (I believe just current orders) and they'll wave the checking in every 24 hrs.

edited to add source
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/24/43...uire-regular-authentication-checks-used-games
    2nd paragraph
  11. Lylliannah

Lylliannah New Cupcake

Oooooo. That is a bit better. Thank you for letting me know!
  12. F8L Fool

Where in the world did you read that? Please throw a source. It honestly sounds like an absolute rumor or blatant lie to me, considering that they've given out virtually no information about how it will truly function beyond yesterdays announcement. Every article I've read about it since yesterday actually says the exact opposite about military exceptions.

In fact I think if they were to do that there would be massive backlash from the game community, despite it being a good thing. Why? Because it would prove that they are capable of disabling the feature but choose not to. After all, there are hundreds of millions of potential buyers that don't have stable/any internet, that aren't in the service.
    Lylliannah likes this.