1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

XCOM

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by SirRobin, Sep 28, 2012.

1. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

No XCOM thread yet?

Being a big fan of the original way back when, I was really looking forward to this game. Well the demo is out and I'm not terribly impressed but I'm prepurchasing anyway. I'll get my money's worth but I doubt it will stick with me anywhere near as long as the original did.

Videos...

Maddog Charlie likes this.
  2. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Nice one Sir Robin, thanks for the post. Im not a huge fan of strategy but after watching all the vids this does look pretty entertaining for sure AND the multiplayer ability looks fun too. I think I will be getting this too TY for the heads up. HEY if only it will help me slow motion prepare for the telegraphs in Wildstar. Off to download the Demo and give it a whirl.
    Cheers. :D
  3. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I did not play the demo (or the first game TBH) I have watched TotalBiscuits impressions of it and what he said recently in the latest TGS podcast is that it is missing some of the elements that made the first game so suspenseful.

Rock paper shotgun are apparently saying that the game picks up around 40 hours in or some thing.

still on the fence about this game. I hope someone who will play post a review.
  4. Maddog Charlie

Well the demo isnt too bad. Missing a lot of the actual release elements I think and the UI is a little funky to work with at first but once you get into the turn based strategy its pretty fun. I ran the demo twice (agggh to no fast forward through the tutorial though) graphics are good (Unreal engine) and I must admit Im going to splash out the dollars and give it a go.

Limited inventory for the toons and customization doesnt look that good to be honest.
    But the cut scenes and general flow looks pretty cool. Certainly makes you think a lot harder about which toon has the medkits, which weapon to use and reloading YET still feels pretty fast moving and fun to play.

DONT GET ME WRONG - its NO Wildstar by any means, I can see it has a very linear progression and very limited replayability compared with Wildstar. Completely different animal really (MMO vs Turn based strategy) but Sir Robin put us onto a good timesink until the Wildstar release TY to him. For the multiplayer it promises alien vs squaddie but we shall see how that balances out, Im not holding my breath and figure the rest of the game should have plenty of content to play. End aim is to get my strategic planning skills skilled up ready for the Wildstar launch :)
  5. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

I've never played the first one please let he who is without a sin cast the first stone. BUT I heard about XCOM on E3 few months ago and it looked really interesting. Maddog when WS launch I will quizz you on your strategic skill so you better get ready pal ^^

Okay off I go my feast is awaiting wouldn't like to make it angry !!!!

PS: I hope no one will send me a Rock through UPS XD
  6. Maddog Charlie

Angry ? I hope its not still alive Buddy ?
    LOL I feel a Wildstar pvp duel in the making already EAT WELL you will need the strength, Muhahaaaah although we couldnt do worse than these guys,
  7. michii88

michii88 Cupcake

Played the demo on steam the other night, and also watched a lot of kinda older streaming of gameplay. Gotta say, I really like this game and will be picking it up on the 9th. Xcom kind of reminds me of Warhammer 40k.
  8. Maddog Charlie

XCOM should be good, ..............unless of course I get too used to the 2 minute timer. In which case WildZhen will completely kick my butt in PVP in Wildstar LOL :)
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Actually XCOM games are known for being pretty non-linear and having a lot of replayability. While this new one might not have quite the scale of the original from what I have read no playthrough will be the same.
  10. Maddog Charlie

Awesome thanks for the info Kurik thats good to know, Ive played the demo through 6 times now LOL need the 9th to roll by real soon.
  11. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

12. Maddog Charlie

Awesome TY Kurik, this will likely greatly effect my forum posting count for the next few days LOL. Sick day on Friday so looks like its going to be a 12hr marathon Yeah !
  13. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'm really tempted to try this game ...
  14. Maddog Charlie

I will prepare my Alien squad to 'Welecome' you .......wait ...WHAT ....there is NO StemDragons !!!!:(
  15. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I just pre-ordered on Steam. Got Civ5 for free as well. Not sure how much time I have left to play besides school, job searching and playing WoW:MoP though. Will be a nice in-between game I guess. :)
  16. Maddog Charlie

Excellent, soon as my squad figure which way to hold the gun (aggah at Rookies) LOL
    Im going to look at multiplayer on Friday so will send you a pm soon as Ive figured what to do, HEY and no Panda's allowed !!! :)
  17. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I've put in about 20 hours or so on classic difficulty, really happy with it so far. Back to HQ!
  18. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

I'm having fun with it so far but as a big fan of the one from '94... Well, I think Firaxis "simplified" the remake a bit too much. Its not a bad game and I love some of the stuff they added. I just wish they had kept more of the original's features.

By the by, anyone want CivV? Everyone I know either has it already or doesn't like that type of game to begin with.
  19. Londrieved

Londrieved New Cupcake

You still have it, I wouldn't mind CivV.

I didn't preorder, but I'm enjoying XCom thus far. Just pisses me off sometimes when I feel some elements are poorly explained.
  20. Maddog Charlie

Oh God yeah equip the alloy SHIV with lazer before deploying .....sent my team in with a shopping cart lololol facepalm