1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

XCOM

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by SirRobin, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Londrieved

Londrieved New Cupcake

Had a point where I lost my best sniper cause for some ungodly reason my support couldn't use medpac on him. I was under the impression that pretty much that's what medpac was for, but the game decided that, nay, John will have to die.
  2. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Had an issue with that too, thought I had revived Abraham Lincoln but he never came back and future med packs didnt help :( Ronald Regan and Ronald McDonald are doing pretty well still.
    Be interesting to see how W* bring in medics and healing into this game, but there is already a thread about that so I wont get off track. Last I heard it was hinted that it will be something like an aimed heal ability using the telegraphs.
    There is a bit of a kinda lag / delay on the mutliplayer thats annoying as anything but it works and is definately worth a try through the Ranked Match selection. Sadly my first match with my Alien team, Ren, Stimpy, Slimfast, Skinny Pete, Greeny and Disco Dan resulted in victory to those blasted Humans, but we will be back !!!!
  3. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

4. Arkimaru

Arkimaru Cupcake

never knew about this game till i read this thread, downloading the demo now to decide it's fate on my pc.
  5. Maddog Charlie

Ran through to the finish of XCOM last night (total about 30 hrs of play). Very nice, reasonable storyline and great in game clips, enjoyed the easy mode a lot, guess Im going to have to cowboy up and do the normal mode :eek:
  6. Arkimaru

Arkimaru Cupcake

yea i liked the demo, def gunna buy the game now.
  7. Maddog Charlie

I noticed a LOT of sudden disconnects with the ranked matches if you are winning against another player who already has a lot of wins :( I suspect some kind of DOS attack swinging the game in their favor. (or maybe its the Sectoids messing with me and Im getting paranoid more paranoid)
    Anyhow the 'Custom Game' seems to be the way to go, its unranked and just a blast of fun plazma !
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

What is your tactic when you have to engage UFO's. I get slaughtered trying to get in and inside of them it's a massacre. I lost 10 veterans in a row because of it.

So, I'm open to some ideas that will keep the casualties down. Anyone?
  9. Maddog Charlie

Well for a start get your team to take all of those hats off !
    NotTactical.jpg
    They are not tactical at all and they can see you coming from miles away :)
  10. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Snipers in overwatch covering the doors of the UFO, Assault in cover on the sides of the entrance, utilize Support's smoke. Don't feel comfortable with that? Make your own entrance with a rocket from the Heavy, this also usually forces enemies inside to come out. Main thing is to just don't move a lot in one turn, always have some people in overwatch to defend each other, and always be in cover.
  11. Maddog Charlie

LMAO at the hat, but seriously 2 x 2 formation, keep two on overwatch always, send in the SHIV if you have one. Bunch everyone by the doorway before you burst in so you have maximum movement to run up close for a gauranteed hit.
  12. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I should use overwatch more and the special skills of the vets I guess. Thanks for the tips guys, still learning here.

Can you do a game in coop mode? That would be awesome.
  13. Maddog Charlie

No dont think thats possible yet with XCOM there was an expansion planned but never made it to release. I can send you and invite to the bar and have you practice on Ren and Stimpy, my pet sectoids :) or I can put together a Carbine/alien team with the toons named after Carbine staff, now theres a thought ......LOL first step is to put together a mutliplayer team from the dropdown. use 10000 points first.
  14. Maddog Charlie

Im too afraid of the German research scientist chick to do that, she would kick my butt for trashing the Alien tech.:D
  15. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

It depends, later on in the game rockets barely scratch the ships and the aliens unfortunately. :p
  16. Maddog Charlie

Bawaaaah at Normal mode Ironman, heck see what you mean they do scale up the aliens more at this level.
    Ok change of tactics, - NEVER be out of cover, may as well be naked, do get to use plasma rifles asap, always have two at least on overwatch, reload often.
  17. Maddog Charlie

Hey Kurik, plasma rocket launcher now thats a tool and a half LOL cant get enough of that monster.

So on normal mode (Ironman - means you cant rewind to an earlier save point) I was merrily going along doing 'reasonably' well until half my squad panicked and my best sniper shot the C/O in the head at point blank range ......since then its been a struggle but I did invest Xcom Dollars in the increased Will after promotion and finally getting back to a good team. Worth noting you can hold off doing the alien base mission indefinately and just keep building back up your squad but youve got to get the facility built and Sats in the air to cover it.
  18. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Yeah I didn't do the base mission until everyone had upgraded armor, grappling around is really useful and fun. I'm currently playing Classic Ironman and it's definitely taxing especially the terror missions.
  19. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Is that the mission where you need the Skeleton key? Damn, I got wiped out fast and painful there. I should have waited to go in ...
  20. Maddog Charlie

Yeah the alien base needs the Skeleton key, lot easier with the right gear its just worrying that you lose a few countries from the program if you hold off on it, lost the US of A with mine,.... some island somewhere I guess?......anyways still have the United States of Europe so thats cool.
    Kurik - Ghost mode is pretty cool too, trying that for the first time and its not bad for snipers, wow classic Ironman, youre setting the bar there dude.
    My favorite Xcom expression that I use often daily is - 'No REALLY, I cant believe you missed that shot either, there may not be another time (Expletive)'