1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your Best of 2012

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by cali, Jan 1, 2013.

1. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

You can get to know a lot about someone by the games that they play. I know that I've been playing a LOT of different games this year including some beta's sprinkled here and there. What I want to know is what you guys have been playing this past year. I have some tiny selfish reasons for starting a thread like this. I have Gamer ADD bad and love checking out new stuff. Be sure to include the platform (pc, xbox, etc), style (FPS, MMO, RPG, etc), how long you played it, and why you liked it.

Star Wars The Old Republic - PC - MMORPG - Beta and Release - I played this for about 10 months. I was heavy into raiding and enjoyed the style of the raids that bioware put out (before they started recycling raid bosses). Leveling was pretty fun and I ended up with 2 level 50 toons. I loved lowbie pvp and I normally am not a fan of PVP. It was nice having everyone scaled to the same level for those games so you didn't (normally) get one-shot by anyone.

The Secret World - PC - MMOPRG - Beta and Release - I played this game for about 2 months with some guildies from swtor. It was a different kind of leveling system which was fun for a while. I didn't play this very long because I made some pretty bad weapon choices thinking that I was going to heal some of the time. I got to the 3rd leveling zone and stopped. I know they recently dropped their subscription but I'm not sure I'll be trying it again. It's a very pretty game.

Guild Wars II - PC - MMORPG - This game was awesome to level in. I couldn't get enough of the mass group style and getting credit for kills rather than tags. I generally don't enjoy leveling and work hard to get it over with for the end game. With this game it was the opposite. I didn't really play too much after I got my toon to level cap because I don't care too much for PVP and I didn't like the dungeon style.

Star Craft II - PC - RTS - I'm a spectator way more than I play tbh, but the game is still fun every once in a while. I play SCII every few months. I love watching the tournaments via Twitch.tv it's almost like how other people have their pizza/beer/football on Sundays...I do that with SCII.

World of Warcraft - PC - MMORPG - I have such a weird relationship with this game. I haven't raided in almost a year and a half mainly due to the amount of time it takes to kill the heroic raids (most guilds I've been in go hard at 5 nights a week for 3-4 months before everything is down) I've been leveling characters when ever I'm "between games" It's like that ex that you go bang when ever you get out of a relationship, you don't want to get back together, it's fun for a little while but then you feel kinda dirty afterwards.

Star Wars Galaxies Emulator - PC - MMORPG - This was my first MMO and huge time sink. I love the crafting system and always launch this game when I'm feeling nostalgic. I never really play for too long but I'm glad someone started this project to preserve the game as I loved it back in 2003.

Dragon Age - PC - RPG - I picked up this game on the recommendation of some guildies. I'm currently playing this much to the annoyance of my normal WOW leveling buddy. It's pretty fun if you like story, to my knowledge you can't skip the cinematics.

Skyrim - PC - RPG - Picked this up the other day. Currently playing through it on my PC. Gotta love RPGs with great stories.
  2. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

What I played this year-
    I will probably miss out on a lot of games because I play a lot of them.

*Most of my time I have been playing GW2 since beta. I am am mostly in WvW. The game has a lot of content that I have not gotten around to doing like finishing personal stories and devoting time to SPVP. if they made WvW less fun and competitive I would have the time :p
    my server is in Tier 4 in the EU \o/

*Borderlands 2 I have been playing a lot of recently. Its fun to play with your friends.

*I was playing D3 for a bit but stopped when I got halfway through nightmare.

*early this year I finally rage quit SWTOR. hackers in pvp warzones were the final straw. It was a day after the legacy patch.

*I played under 20 hours of Dota 2 and I still suck :p

*I played a bit of Planetside 2 - best F2P MMOFPS. because of this game I did not buy CoD black ops 2 I don't need CoD when I can play PS2 which a lot more fun.

* I pop in and out of the Firefall beta from time to time.

Now if I have some free time I play X-Com (stupid exploding cars!) and civ 5

I want to try to play the SC2 campaign before the release of HotS but I might just see all the story cutscenes on youtube lol
  3. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Okay best of 2012:

_Dishonored

_Assasins Creed 3

_Borderland 2

_Swtor (?whaaat)

_Skyrim

_BattleField 3

list non exhaustive

Happpyy Neeewww Yeeearrr !!!!! Let's wish for moar good games this year and success in all our projects !!!
  4. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

My Best of 2012:

The Walking Dead: The Game by Telltale for the PC - This is probably my GOTY, such a great story and cast of characters. I have to admit I shed some man tears and I can't wait for season 2.

Mass Effect 3 by Bioware for the PC - Controversies aside this is a franchise I have invested so much time in and while it could have been better I was satisfied after playing it.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown by Firaxis for the PC - A great addition to the franchise and will be something I play off and on for a long time.

There are a bunch of other games I have played but the above were the most memorable. I also have a bunch of games sitting in my library that I still need to play. :p
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

WoW (subbed atm)
    Rift (one free play day)
    EQ2 (sub runs until summer 2013)
    Vanguard (jump on now and then to do diplomacy, don't know what it is with that game in the game, and the world is just huge, big, large, enormous...)
    SWTOR (get another level on an alt)
    The Secret World (finally bought the game for myself)
    Diablo 3 (was fun, became grind)
    Dragon Age 2 (I also liked the original DA)
    CoH (tried it out, because you guys talked about it)

Been playing too much through Christmas, I could really use some sort of parental alarm, that tells me, when I have played x hours and shuts down the game, when I have played x hours + 1 :p
  6. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

I don't play a lot of games, I get really obcessive over a few...

Skyrim
    Replayed through Fallout3
    SWTOR
    I quit World of Warcraft about half way through the year, dunno if that still counts?
    Minecraft :D
    Mechwarrior Online (since open beta)
    EvE Online
    Minecraft...

That's about it I think. That's not the best, that's the entire list of games I've played through the year. :p
  7. ObliviousPrime

can you explain the random exploding cars. there has to be rules to that. I am getting killed by cars more than aliens
  8. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Rule 0: See the car burning? Get your ass out of there!
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Like Black Wolf said once it's burning it will explode the next turn. Now I believe if a grenade hits it or it is hit two times in a turn then it will explode as well. Just try to use other types of cover before using a vehicle.
    ObliviousPrime likes this.
  10. cali

cali Cupcake-About-Town

O
    Oh I forgot I bought this the day it came out. I wish I looked more into it or played Diablo II. I was pretty upset when I found out that I had to play the game through 3 times to get to level cap. I played through the normal mode and haven't touched it since.
  11. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah D3 did screw us, have to admit only on that point Bliz should get an award ^^ lol
  12. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Light for me this year as had to relo (AGAIN)
    Rift, enjoyed but there are a lot of restrictions in place (crafting/housing) that I feel limit gamers artistic talents
    Vanguard, enjoyed the crafting a lot but couldnt live with the graphics
    S&T$R - wont even mention it as I was SO very very very very disappointed
    The Secret World - fun, exceptional storyline but didnt hook me like thought it would
    Fallen Earth - I do still keep going back, its kind of depressing though being homeless and scavenging materials (A good reflection of my non fixed MMO life at the moment)
    Team Fortress 2 - Just when I need to kick some ass
    Planetside - really this is an MMO ? Not impressed sorry
    XCOM - Very impressed, thoroughly enjoyed the 60 or so hours of gaming but after that its kind of hmmmm? Still pop back in for challenge matches every now and then.
    Star Trek Online - Maxed and if I have to land on another uninhabited postcard world with no interactivity I will lose my mind. But for Space battles it satisfys my SWG space needs, for now.
    Firefall - 'This rocks', once you are familiar with the twitchy play (or like me get weapons with AOE damage, turrets or settle in for some long range sniping) I like it a lot, space genre and the dev team promise lots more PVE missions and quests coming. Enough to keep you involved you can switch between Tornados, Chosen Stomping, Thumping, pvp, general hunting and resource gathering, some limited crafting and Watch towers.
    I guess Im looking for a game to invest my time in learning the systems, until then maxing my FF toons satisfys my needs.
  13. ObliviousPrime

thanks Black wolf and kurik for the car advice :)
  14. Kay niner

Kay niner New Cupcake

My best of 2012? in no particular order:
    *Firefall
    *Fallout 3 (Replay)
    *Fallout New Vegas (Replay)
    *Dishonored
    *Batman Arkham City
    *Borderlands 2
    *Mass Effect 3 (Up until the end, then it crashed hard)
    *Fallout 1 (replay)
    *Battlefield 3

I love me some Fallout...
  15. ObliviousPrime

I wish :p

Tiny Tina as the queen of the planet in this one I hope lol
  16. Kay niner

Kay niner New Cupcake

Huh? oh I'm from the future... I get mixed up which time-stream I'm in sometimes...

didn't even notice... :laugh:
  17. ObliviousPrime

Can I borrow your tardis sometime :p

I haven't even finished BL2 yet,and I want some more :inlove:
  18. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

In no particular order (except the first one)...

Journey - A strangely emotional experience that came out of nowhere for me. Never expected to have such strong feelings while sat on the couch with a controller in my hands.

Faster Than Light - Because of reasons. Also because the last time I played, I named my ship the Gambler's Ruin and crewed it with Serrick Brightland, Dorian Walker and Buck. It went terribly, as one should expect when playing a roguelike-like.

Kingdoms of Amalur - I seem to be one of the few people who actually liked this title a lot. I haven't finished yet thanks to gamer ADD, but the combat is incredibly fun and I really dig the style, and the story. I was extremely bummed out when 38 Studios went belly up, because what little I'd read about the MMO set in the same universe seemed really interesting.

Borderlands 2 - Because shooting this is a ridiculous amount of fun with friends.

Torchlight 2 - Because hacking things to death is a ridiculous amount of fun with friends. Also, lootsplosions to the nth degree.
    Kurik Lein and JarNod like this.
  19. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

OMG! Why did I leave out Torchlight 2 and Mass Effect 3! (Well...ME3 I probably have valid reasons, loved it until the same point as everyone else...)
    Love me some engineer, mmmm wrenches...
  20. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I just got this off Amazon for $15 and I'm loving it so far. Just a fun universe and I'm having a blast. It really is too bad about 38 studios... this game should have done better.
    Kurik Lein likes this.