1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your healer and you.

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Ayora, Jun 3, 2013.

?

Do you agree with these statements?

1. Yes

86.0%
  2. No

14.0%
  1. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

(I am well aware that this kind of post is typical, and always in forums)

So, as many of you may know, the life of a healer isn't all its cracked up to be.

There are times when things run smoothly, but then very often things don't go so smoothly and 9 times out of 10 the healer and/or tank gets blamed.

So how can you improve the life of you and your healer?

Let's break it down into DO'S :D and DON'TS :mad:

THE DON'TS

Don't - Scream and rage when you die. Remain calm and ask for assistance, DO NOT spam the chat with 'RES PLS, RES PLS' or 'DUDE FFS RES ME'. The more you do this, the more likely you are to get a bad relationship with the healer, remember, your life is in their hands.

Remain calm and wait for a res, if it takes a while just ask nicely 'Can I have a rev please?'

Don't - Blame the healer. Ok so let's say you've just started a dungeon, and the healer isn't so good. Ranting and flaming about how terrible they are will solve nothing, why not try and help them by giving them tips and tricks to make things smoother. Remember, commuication is KEY.

Don't - Demand. Healing can be a tough job, wether you think so or not. Don't demand a heal, people have a tendancy to demand heals as a DPS when a healer is focusing on keeping the tank and themself up. Tanks are always a healers priority (Well, at least they are for me)

If you have a competant healer than they'll always be doing their utmost to keep the team up and running. If not, then a polite 'May I have a heal please?' couldn't hurt, instead of 'HEAL ME PL0X'.

Do - Remain calm. The more you remain calm and speak nicely to a healer, the calmer they'll remain, which makes it a lot easier for everyone else. The last thing you want is a healer rage quitting, we all know how hard it can be to find a quick replacement.

Do - Communicate. Communication is key when it comes to any class, especially with your tank and healer. Try getting a voice chat software so you don't have to worry about typing mid-fight. Even if you don't have a mic, being able to hear your other team mates or healer can make life a whole lot easier.

Do - Use your manners. I can't stress this enough! A simple please or thank you goes a long way, no matter who your saying it to.

Personally as a someone who near enough always players a healer class, being thanked for healing is the best reward. Knowing your appreciated is a greater feeling than any loot could give.

Do - Learn how the healers function (in general) and figure out what style your healer is using. Some healers benefit from giving out huge heals at low frequency, some function on absorbs and shielding damage, some have HoTs constantly ticking. You need to figure out which one your healer is, and how they use those abilities. Sometimes healers are letting you drop somewhat low on purpose, because they have a huge mana efficient heal they use every 10 seconds, and they know it'll top you off. This helps prevent the use of defensive cooldowns unnecessarily, so that you can use them when you need them. Curtacy of BlindSear

Do - Look at the group's health bars before you say anything. I've heard people scream and yell, and ask why they were left to die. Only to realize they didn't have the health bars up of the tanks and healers, and that half of the healers were dead. So, as DPS at least have the tanks and healers up, because they're always a priority over your health. Curtacy of BlindSear

A lot of these things relate to all classes, but you get where I'm coming from!

Take it easy, Ciao
    :inlove:
    kanochi, Verilyn, Psistorm and 3 others like this.
  2. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

I voted yes, we have now a 100% on yes with one vote : time to close the thread ;) !
    kanochi and Ayora like this.
  3. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

Haha, indeed. :p
    kanochi and Shoogli like this.
  4. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

I found that being a healer is kind of a double edged sword, people either love you for healing them or hated you for not healing them enough. I doubled as a healer for my guild in Rift with my Chloromancer spec. There wasn't much conversation during the actual fights, I think we just generally trusted each other to get the job done. I must admit it was always nice to get a "Good heals!" or "Nice job" after a fight.
    kanochi likes this.
  5. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

100% agree. :up:
  6. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

Everyone does love to play the blame game! Been a while since I've done much other than heal and it get's really frustrating when DPSers take unnecessary damage constantly. Gets significantly more frustrating when they die to something avoidable, and apparently that's still your fault.

As much as I loathed GW2's PvE content people at the least learnt pretty quickly they had to pay attention and do their best to keep themselves alive. I think this will be a good thing in Wildstar too with all of the telegraphed combat. People are always going to take some damage, but won't be able to fully blame it on other people.

It's actually something that makes playing DPS a little more attractive to me for the first time in ages.
  7. Shoogli

Shoogli Cupcake-About-Town

I'd add one more, if I may :

Do - protect your healers, especially in PVP since they're the first focus target usually...
    kanochi likes this.
  8. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

I agree with this. I experienced the difficult life of the healers myself, so I know the feeling.
    One thing I like to add is, Wildstar will have a telegraph based healing system, so living or dieing won't be up to the healer entirely. :) This maybe will ease the blame towards the healer.
    kanochi and Shoogli like this.
  9. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I treat my personal healer as sub-human and second inventory. They exist solely to keep my hp bar maxed and carry all my loot. They don't need their own quest progression when they can just bask in my glory. If too much is pulled and I die, it is their fault, if they run out of mana after a 30 minute long chain multipulling spree, it's their fault. Healers exist to extend the legends of those above them, that is all.
  10. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]
  11. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Guess who's not gonna bask in glory any time soon :p
    Ico likes this.
  12. Inukeu

Inukeu Well-Known Cupcake

I used to play a healer in WoW on one of my many many alts and if i got aggro from people for not healing thru them doing stupid pulls or "standing in the fire" I would later allow them to die and res and let them die again bwahaah your life is in the healers hands remember that or you will end up with a big ol repair bill

naturally I would do the same on my tanks if they got grief too dps are easy to replace after all if they rage quit :D
    kanochi likes this.
  13. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

You fell for that one. :p

This kind of problem usually comes up either in PuGs only or if the healer actually DOES suck within the guild. I'd say this is less of a problem with healers getting mistreated and more an issue with people in general who were not raised to respect those around them, take accountability for their actions, and assess the situation before coming to conclusions (which in this case means: communicate).

I've played all three roles extensively in the PuG setting and I don't usually have a problem with PuGs b****ing to me. Most of the time it's because I know the fight mechanics and I'm the first to say something when there's an issue.
    F8L Fool likes this.
  14. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah no, I assume this post is mostly aimed at mindless raging in PUGs which is a fair point. That said if someone stuffs up they need to be told if only to alert them to the fact they made a mistake as they may not know they're doing something wrong. It's not what you do it's how you do it that's generally the issue.

Also healing is a tough and often times thankless job that is assuredly true and there are a lot of mouth breathers in PUGs who blame the healer no matter what happens sure I agree.
    That doesn't mean healers automatically get this free pass to make them exempt from critique, if you lack the knowledge skill experience to heal an instance you definitely shouldn't do it none of those things should ever be an excuse.
  15. Ayora

Ayora Cupcake-About-Town

Completely agree with what you've said, I worded what I was trying to say completely wrong.
  16. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Agree with all points.

My wife is my healer...which can be good or bad. Of course she ignores me when any else in the guild needs heals. Of course she can hit me if I try to blame her for not healing.

/She did wipe a raid run in Rift once though. She still hasn't lived that down
  17. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

As a healer: Be a man and admit your mistakes. If you did something wrong, point it out and apologize and say that you'll do better.

Because you can.

Also: This goes for everyone. If you screwed up your group, apologize. If it happens again, apologize even harder and try to avoid doing that mistake.

If you do it again, stop watching Family guy while you're playing and concentrate on the friggin' raid, dungeon or whatever you're doing ATM.

Also: Obviously, be polite. Be efficent. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  18. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Speaking from a healer's perspective. Zero <explatives> given about a DPS. Generally if a DPS dies under my watch it's because I was dead, the tank was dead, or they were standing in some god awful mess and there was nothing that could have been done.

If I get a "Rez Plz" when I'm in a dungeon group and they can see that I'm casting rez on someone else, I'll forego rezzing them and tell them to run back. I don't think I've ever had this issue with a raid, unless it's a battle rez, but that's usually a decision I make by looking at the DPS meter, and gauging how important they are to rez for the course of the fight, or if the timing's right.

When you're a tank and you die, ask the healer what happened, and open up a dialogue about it. Don't assume it's the healer's fault you died. Something along the lines of "Was that me or you?" is usually enough. Same with DPS, a simple "Was that me or you?" gives the healer the heads up that someone died and they need to figure out if they weren't being aware enough, or if the dps was just doing something stupid and didn't realize it. When someone dies, there's equal parts likelihood that its the healer or the healee's fault.

An addition to this list for "Do's":
    • Learn how the healers function (in general) and figure out what style your healer is using. Some healers benefit from giving out huge heals at low frequency, some function on absorbs and shielding damage, some have HoTs constantly ticking. You need to figure out which one your healer is, and how they use those abilities. Sometimes healers are letting you drop somewhat low on purpose, because they have a huge mana efficient heal they use every 10 seconds, and they know it'll top you off. This helps prevent the use of defensive cooldowns unnecessarily, so that you can use them when you need them.
    • Look at the group's health bars before you say anything. I've heard people scream and yell, and ask why they were left to die. Only to realize they didn't have the health bars up of the tanks and healers, and that half of the healers were dead. So, as DPS at least have the tanks and healers up, because they're always a priority over your health.
    Edit: For healers, if you have aggro on something, run to your tank, don't stand there like a goober and take damage. Possibly one of his/her AoE's will hit the thing and get it off you, or his taunt could be on cool down. Also, communicate with your DPS if they're standing in <REDACTED>, call them out right then and there. They've likely got tunnel vision, which is a good thing for DPS to have (to an extent) as they have to pump out the numbers too.

Also, this doesn't let healers off the hook either. They should learn how the other classes function to try to figure out what ways they would act to attempt to pre-emptively heal and protect other players. They should also realize which players will be most likely to run in and do something "dumb." I usually will have shields on a tank, and constant things ticking on them, but have my abilities ready to heal the rogue in the group (if there is one), as I've played rogue... I know how attached to targets they get. I also know that they're squishy and will have huge likelihood of taking large hits quickly. I also know that they're most likely to be the impatient one in the group and accidentally or "accidentally" pull a boss or mob (next to a pet class or hunter of course...).
  19. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

I can totally agree with the statements made by the OP, and I'm generally a DPS player.
    One more thing or two that come to mind:
    • As a tank, don't pull while the healer is low/out of mana. No more tasty heals for you that way. Let the poor guy regen a little first before you pull again.
    • Depending on the game, do not pull while you are being healed after the fight. Especially in neverwinter this can be fatal for the healer, because all ranged adds in the pull will immediately focus the cleric.
    That said, healers often have it hard, but those serious about it should do the same work as everyone and think about their spec or read about it, as well as be open for suggestions. Else you get situations like my old wow guild, where our only healer ran a wotlk spec in cata and would flat out refuse to change, despite other healers of the same gear level and spec healing circles around them.
    kanochi and Apostate like this.
  20. Apostate

Apostate Well-Known Cupcake

As a person who sometimes heals, I learned early on that the best praise I can expect of a group is complete silence and utter obliviousness to my presence. People aren't really going to notice you unless something goes wrong. Then, they're either noticing how well you fixed the situation (rare)or how quickly it all went to hell (ideally more rare, but in practice less rare). Most times, you'll breathlessly emerge from a near-disaster with most of your cooldowns and mana bar spent, thinking about what a close call that was, only for the tank and DPS to keep mutely plowing ahead like nothing happened.

Too much of this can leave a person feeling dead inside, but there are also times when you'll miss the group ignoring you. Like when you're in a PUG that has two or more friends/guild members in it, and one of them is on a desperate mission to die in as many ways and as many times as possible over the duration of the run. Should you commit the cardinal sin of defending yourself when you are inevitably shat upon by the death-prone player, you can expect a torrent of obscenities from both him and his compatriot(s). A kick from the group may or may not follow. At times like this, you'll think back fondly to the groups that didn't even know you were alive.

Anyways, I agree with the intention of this thread but these efforts always seem futile to me. To be a healer is to be a butler with glowing hands. All a person can really do is strive to be the best damned butler they can be while ignoring the various brats, snobs, and other "center of the universe" types (this includes prima donna healers)one encounters along the way.

If I were to make my own Healer's Manifesto or something, it would be about balancing a sense of responsibility and pride in one's work while simultaneously cultivating a rich, deep sense of schadenfreude. As a healer, you're in a unique position to see other people's mistakes. Not only do you get to watch people faceplant, you get to watch the elaborate sequence of events that inevitably leads into that faceplant. You know DPS #3 is going to kick the bucket due to some avoidable mechanic long before he does. It'd be a crime not to savor it. I've always liked to make a game of guessing who will die to what mechanic.