1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your thoughts on the action bars

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SkubaStew, Jul 19, 2013.

1. SkubaStew

SkubaStew New Cupcake

Hey guys just found this cool community, new here and really like it so far.

That said what are your thoughts on the action bars? Playing guild wars 2 I really did not like the preset max abilities. I will give you reasons why. I know that in most MMOs you only really use 8-10 abilities in your "rotation". But I like having lots of abilities that I don't use all the time. Also it gives a much fuller feeling of controlling your character.

Wow is an example I liked, with my warlock I have buffs, healthstones, demons, portals, etc. All these added more uniqueness to my class. Having said that Wildstar looks amazing, and not having played it I can not say I won't like the action bar system.

Sorry its a bit long of a post. I am pretty opened minded and would love to hear how you guys think it will be a good system.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well my thoughts are still the same as in those other threads :D
    Wait!...........Using ''WoW'' and ''class uniqueness'' in one sentence? :eek: Is that even allowed?

Every class slowly got ''the same'', buffs being shared trough other classes etc. etc.
    There is no more ''oh and we need that class to come'' in WoW.

It was, but will never be (that's kinda whole of WoW atm)
    Also this isn't a long post :p no need to apologise ;)
  3. SkubaStew

SkubaStew New Cupcake

Mind linking those other threads?

I should have specified, I meant WOW vanilla and TBC :p
  4. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

I'm a minimalist so i don't mind only a couple of Action bars and UI elements..

I'm actually prototyping something that extends this..."trendy" system for personal projects.
  5. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Ofcourse:
    Here, here, here, here and here
    Mayby there are more...but these are from the first page of hits :D
  6. Mellkor

Mod should do a "reverse moses" and merge the threads..
    [​IMG]
    UKcheese and Extatica like this.
  7. HoseMan

HoseMan New Cupcake

10 habilities it's nice.
    Two dps-warriors maybe dont wear the same build... its perfect.
    That you can have apart specific path action bar... its brilliant.
    That you can put only direct damage attaks and you dont like it and change it to try going on dots or cc's or the same to heals or tanks so everyone can try different things and chat and ask and get killed on warplots and then you change and every day you can try something else... it's awesome!
  8. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

I think buffs and out of combat things could be added on a bar on the side or something (to get the we need that class for that buff etc..), but i still like the limited actionbar Carbine is goin with ..It makes so even i can go from mouseclicker to keyboard. :D
    ..But as far as i know they aint doin the bar on the side, but i am just as happy anyway. :cool:
  9. Rizlah

Rizlah Cupcake

Im not sure how much you know or not but each class will get around 50 abilities i believe(could be more could be a little less) The LAS(limited action set) llets you choose between 10 depeneding on what you want to do.

You could be a pure burst build, a more sustained build, a mix of both, could be an off tank with half tank abilities/half dps, an off healer with half healz/ half dps, and pure AOEr or more of a single target dps.

I think its going to add alot of variety even within the same classes. Pretty sure that it will be hard to have a cookie cutter spec thats a must and i hope its like that.
  10. Mellkor

TSW with all its diversity could not stop the cookie cutter builds. I really don't like them, But I think cookie cutter builds are inevitable.
    teh_ninjaneer likes this.
  11. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

As far as I know you can have whatever actions on side bars but most likely/definitely only actions on LAS bar (that with 10 actions whatever it is called) will be active/clickable while in combat.
    Sapien likes this.
  12. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Im also a person who like to bind 40 keys and learn to used them effectivly, its fun for me. But im unsure what to think of the limitations Carbine has set for us until i tried it myself. Its hard to imagine the difference in movement that Wildstrar have to WoW for example. With the freeform targetin system and telegraphs compare to the simplistic way WoW handled it it might be a necessity to not have too many binds available. It also gives a way for us to have to choose which provides another way of thinking about balance then WoW.

Guild Wars 1 had this in some way, there where a buttload of abilities but you could only use a handful and you choose differently depending if you PvP or PvE etc. I think it might be a good thing that they limited it, but as most of us here on WSC forums i have to wait and see. :)
  13. Kyrios

Kyrios Cupcake

I think having a limited action set really sets your character apart. GW2 only lets u actually chose like 2-3 actions the rest are from ur weapons. (so not a lot of choice)

I am looking forward diversity, as people have to spec all the way to max lvl and chose only a limited number of actions. its exciting to see how people will choose.

From what I have gathered, you spec into what type of character you want to play: traits, skills, abilities, ect.; so the diversity is going to be amazing! (i hope)
  14. wzrd

wzrd New Cupcake

I think something between 10-12 would be the magic number, one of the issues people had with gw2 was the fact that of the 10 abilities you could use in combat none of them required any resources to use, so people would feel no remorse in mashing all 10 buttons :p I still dont know if Wildstar has a resource system ala rage/energy/mana, i sorta hope so :p
    Sapien likes this.
  15. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Skill cap = lowered.
  16. madrabbit

madrabbit Cupcake

LAS is fine if it is implemented smartly and cautiously. Don't make me go through what GW2 made me go through. Even with weapon swapping it was a complete bore to mash the same few skills again and again. Once you got all your skills and a combo that worked, nothing ever changed. To make matters worse they made a few zones full of nothing but zombies every 2 inches that you had to mash your way through. Talk about burn out.

That's actually around the time I quit the game.

So LAS is fine, as long as you give me a variety of options for skills that I can stick into it, and you don't make it so small that I don't have enough slots to place the skills that I want to use for my build into it.
  17. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I've really enjoyed the games with LAS (GW1/GW2/Neverwinter for examples of MMOs using it).

It allows me to focus more on the gameplay as opposed to macro writing or attempting to transform my hand into an octopus in order to quickly access 40+ keybinds/modifiers (WoW on the druid as Boomkin had me using every single available hotbar slot on every bar as well as using context sensitive macros to assign dual/triple functions to many of those slots - yay for covering dps/cc/dispelling + emergency heals and emergency tanking in one class :p + the usual trinket/consumable hotkeys + buffing/combat res etc).
    While that was doable, I much prefer the LAS systems especially combined with action gameplay (ie active dodging/high mobility).
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

you'll be wanting the following thread:

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/in-depth-look-at-ability-resources.3772/
  19. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Mellkor speaks so much truth in his posts. I like this guy.

Once the game launches, there will be a race for whom puts the first "build" on the forums or youtube (most likely the first person to max level), if such build does not leak over from the beta forums. This person will be praised as the master of that class and the most knowledgeable person. In the world. That ever lived. Because he played a video game for a few hours.

The masses (read: sheep) will follow this build to the letter, for it was brought down from the mountain. A few people will try to come up with a different idea, and it will likely be just as good (I would dare say better, but of course that couldn't be true). But this guy has a YOUTUBE VIDEO. He is the best.

This sentence is the disclaimer for extreme exaggeration, in case you didn't catch on.

The TSW comment is very true. I always wanted to have a support-style deck that might have a little less DPS than "required" but would boost the DPS of others and increase defense of the tank. I was told to never use it and just worry about myself.

I despise cookie-cutter builds. But the majority of players will expect you to have searched the web and be using those types of builds.
  20. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

Yup, cookie cutters will never go away.

I just long for the day when you don't HAVE to use the cookie cutter builds. Or, if you can find a good one, join the guild that is more concerned with you and your fun than 100% efficiency. I love my guild!