1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your top 3 Game Killers?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by LittleIcebreaker, Nov 15, 2012.

1. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

Hello Wildstar Central Forum Community!

This is actually my first post, and I'd like to say: Great job on the site, and nice to meet you all!

(I apologize if this thread has already been started elsewhere. If so, please feel free to delete my thread and point me in the direction where I may add to the discussion!)

So let's get down to the nitty gritty! To say I'm excited for this game... such an understatement! However, as with every new exciting game there are some real night terrors that come with them. Yeah you heard me, NIGHT TERRORS! Basically my game killers. Once I see these particular features my time in my choice game is pretty much done for!

Here are my top 3 Game Killers!

1. Poor Payment Method

Many of us have our own preferred payment method (P2P, F2P, B2P, etc). Personally, mine is a clean P2P without the cash shop. However, any payment method that includes P2W, or really obvious greedy cash shop items (Hey! Pay $5 and you can have this item for 7 whole days!) just turns me right off on video games. Personally the absolute worse cash shop scheme I've seen are the gambling items; Pay real $$$ for a -chance- at an in game item! I absolutely hate seeing companies overtly desperate for every last penny I have.

2. Taking Control From the Player

So here's another general no-no. Taking control from the player can be anything from not allowing players options in their server type (PvE, PvP, RP, RP-PvP, etc), not offering options in game to suit your playstyle (camera range, macros, armor hide), to constant censoring on the forums (Thanks for your response, but this thread is not constructive and will now be closed!). Players are a company's bread and butter. Sure most of us are whiney overreacting complainers (me included!), but to shrug off a players wants / concerns is basically putting nails into the coffin of your franchise.

3. Poor Customer Service

A real stickler this game killer is! First of all, if there isn't a call center (phone number) where I can speak to a real live person, red flags start to wave. Pure tickets may be easier for the company, but having to wait 3days - 1 full week just to respond is absolutely unacceptable imho. Also, lacking features at launch that can guarantee account rollbacks is another warning sign for this issue. Players may be irresponsible with their accounts at times, but the faster a company can fix these issues, the better quality the company is.

So there are my 3 game killers! Just how I personally view MMO's in general when it comes to deciding which game I'm going to stick with.

What are your 3 game killers and why? :)
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

1. Payment Model

For many of the reasons stated above in the OP, I'm fine with F2P, B2P, Subscription, and a Cosmetic Shop. Being able to buy an advantage or rare items is something I can't stand.

2. Limiting Interaction

Locking servers to certain regions or limiting interaction between players even enemy factions is a mistake in my opinion. I'm fine with a two faction system but let the players interact in some way even if just in certain zones or situations. Not expecting the ability to group with the enemy but cross faction communication in a limited fashion would be acceptable.

3. Community

Part of a MMO is playing with others and if you don't like the community you're probably not going to play for long. Developer interaction plays a role as well, if they aren't interacting or getting in touch with its players either through forums or in-game the faster a community deteriorates in my opinion.
  3. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

Hello Kurik Lein!

Those are really great points! I didn't even think about that limiting interaction. My first MMO was FFXI, where all of us played together (Japanese, European, US, everyone lol) for better or worse. It was amazing to watch all the variety of ways different cultures approach a problem, and developed their own strategy.

Not to mention it was always fun sticking around in a full JP group with our rinky dink built in translator! :)
  4. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

1. Artificial limitation of boundaries

I hate when games have you run up against an artificial invisible boundary. Whether it be blocking me from swimming after I have been swimming for a while, telling me I am getting exhausted when no exhaustion exists in the game, etc. I can take a few places here and there, but when it gets excessive to the point of limiting my exploration, I get tired of it. They should make mechanics in the game that make sense. Do not put that wonderful ship/wreck/house/etc out there in the distance and not let me get to it. Obvious someone or something was there before so I should be able to get to it as well.

2. Make crafting items worth something

When games provide better products on drops/vendors than a crafter, this eventually makes the crafter useless in the game. When I feel that part of the game is not required anymore, then I get to the point of not caring anymore. Yes, other parts of the game may keep me around a bit, but if I cannot craft and have people buy my wares, then the game is less fun for me.

3. Launching the game before it is ready

If there are too many bugs or some features do not work, that really gets frustrating since I paid for a complete game, not a work in progress. I will leave and come back later or not come back at all. I am not talking about features that were postponed, I can deal with that. I mean promised ones that do not work.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

1. I don't like it when they try to nickel and dime you to death (SWTOR F2P)

2. Pay to win - Mentioned before and we can all agree its a game breaker.

3. Bad/unhelpful/inept customer service - one of the reasons I left SWTOR though not the main and also why I am going to forget Barnes and noble online and the nook even exists.

-sidenote : I prefer a B2P model with a cosmetic and quality of life shop
  6. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

Good call on the subject LittleIce and Welcome to the forums too.
    Player interaction
    Im right with you on the player interaction guys, even a two faction environment doesnt work when pop drops and essentially half your pop are locked out of interaction. I think cross faction trading, comms and guilds are a good way to truely 'bring together the players' (Traders - just add $XXX to the price for the other faction LOL)
    True accessibility
    As covered in other threads in more detail but in summary if anyone I know cant play because of a badly designed UI or poor mechanics or insanely fast motor skills required just to play basically then Im not a happy bunny and it will only ever be a casual game for me.
    Character customization
    This goes on into crafting and coloring items, deep variety of crafting, clothing, changes to make YOUR character truely YOUR character. Along with housing that represents a deep emotional investment by players in their characters which can only be a good thing.
    (What ? !!!! only 3 bah whats one more hey)
    Free baseball Caps
    In my mind any game which doesnt give out free baseball caps to its fans is just not going to cut it for me, seriously the sun is hot some days and I have no hair left. These are a requirement IMO.:)
    Dyraele and ObliviousPrime like this.
  7. ObliviousPrime

I agree with everthing you said Maddog... especially free swag :roflamo:

customization is important because you want to be unique not not just another clone.

server population faction imbalance is frustrating in PVP. In world PVP one side will have the number advantage and in arena type pvp like in swtor I was a sith in a empire dominant server ended up playing A LOT of huttball because it was the only map I can play vs my own faction.

and a belated welcome to the forums LittleIcebreaker
  8. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I just had to laugh at this. :roflamo:
  9. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

Hey everyone! Thanks for your input! These are some really great points. If only Wildstar could read this thread. :(

I agree with everything that's been mentioned. Personally, I feel these issues are common knowledge among the majority of MMO'ers. That's why when I see new games coming out making very similar mistakes as these I can't help, but to facepalm.

The anxiety will certainly continue for Wildstar until I hear concrete information on many of these issues. D:

Also, if you want to add more to this list by all means! Like one of my game killers included a handfull of sub-examples lol!
  10. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Carbine developers frequently visit and post on these forums. So keep on posting suggestions and ideas and I'm sure some of them will flow in the game.
  11. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

That just made me squeal!!! ^-^;;;

Thank you!
  12. Hydros

Hydros Cupcake

1. Lack of any sense of progression.
    2. Bad Community
    3. Poor Costumer Support
    4. No actual economy ( Such as SWTOR when it was released )
    5. Most of all, bad endgame ( Be it not enough content, bugged, feeling like an after thought [SWTOR at release] etc...)
  13. Larcil

Larcil New Cupcake

1. International Servers only.
    I don't have anything against players wanting an international community, I just prefer Servers for every region.

2. No options to roleplay. What so ever.
    Only global chat, no walking toggle, no speech-bubbles, no RP-Servers... Do not want.

3. Bad game design in general.
    Bad Netcode resulting in lag, low fps even on high-end machines, game-breaking bugs and exploits... All that fun stuff.
  14. ObliviousPrime

Problem with this is that some people are either more comfortable speaking/reading/typing in thier own language than in english or maybe they are not fluent.

And you know if they type in chat something in their own language in general chat asking a question hoping a countryman will respond trolls would enjoy yelling at them to speck english.
  15. WildZhen

WildZhen Cupcake-About-Town

1. Lack of Sleep !!!

Definitely one of the top 3 game killer out there, I mean seriously when you are so tired, you can't even click on a simple button your mouse looks like it's gonna hover out of your screen, your screen is blurry (mainly because your eyes are close, you start having philosophical inquiries on the reason why you have to got to sleep, your back is hurting, and for f***k sake you wonder what the hell you have to do to finish your quest and level up !! I Hate Lack of sleep it's a Game killer IMO (XD).

2. Game Launch around the 20th of Mars !!!

Seriously why do they even bother launching a game during march, first of all there is no Xmas in March not bloody holiday, nor birthdays (well except for those lucky ones XD). the 20th is the day of the month when money seems to have moved out of your account, your fridge is looking less and less like an orgy of pork chop and more and more like a monogamous platonic relationship. Damn part of the month congress should vote a law to make it go away.

3.<REDACTED>ty Community in MMos !!!!

Well no big comment here apart from: "Thank GOD Wildstar central community rock like buttery pop corn, Oh dear sweetness give me MOAR !!!."

For those who did not notice It's just a "Smile" Post.

XooooXOoooXOOXOXo (never understood which one was the hug anyway).
  16. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

1. Lack of community

Nothing worst than playing a MMO that feels like a Single player RPG. Now a days everything can be soloed, maybe besides endgame, and even now a lot of end game is soloable because of lack of time the devs give content in which they can do solo. I would love to see more MMO's like SWG.

2. Lack of communication between players and Devs.

When the Devs don't listen to their community and go ahead and add what they think would be better for their game. When communication is good, the game usually is good.

3. No innovation

Now a days almost everyone tries to copy WOW because they see how well it has done, but ultimately fail. I wish they could be original , even if the game ends up being <REDACTED>, at least they tried to do something new.
  17. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

So many people have posted so many great game killers! I hope MMO developers for upcoming titles can relate with these sobering yet great points.
  18. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

1. business model

P2W is a major nono, it should not be possible to buy elder game equivilant gear or performance enhancers for team content. Nothing should be sold on a cash shop, that a lot of work can't earn you doing in game content. One should not be able to buy ones way to achievements.

As for nickel and dime business model of SWTOR, they did a couple of good things to make "free to pay" a truly alternate option to sub - instead of a monthly fee, you pay for what content you have time to play a given week - unfortunately they topped the good stuff off with item unlocks and stuff like unlocks on helm visual and such, which is a rather stupid and fragantly obvious move to get people to sub, pretty much ruining something that would have had potential to be a true alternative to sub without depending on "whales" to pay the majority of the bills, so they rest could have "free to play".

Wish they had stuck to the weekly unlocks on content, so people can unlock content for periods they have time to play and still keep in touch with the community, when they can not afford to play more than what is free to play.

2. required to progress in any way

I am not saying that you should be able to progress doing nothing. I am saying you should have a choice what you want to do to progress. Which means alternate progression options.

All in all, a game that makes PVP required would not have me as a player. Some people I have played with would run for the hills, if crafting was required.

Questing, PVP, craft, killing, harvest, exploring, these should all be alternate options for how one wants to play, progress and develope ones characters/reputation. None of them should be forced upon someone, who does not like that particular type of way to go. Crafting should not be required, which means everything craftable should be tradable, PVP should not be required, which means must-do open world PVP content is a nono, harvesting should not be required, which again means all materials should be tradable, with all the other tradable stuff, all drops killing mobs should also be tradable.

Balancing them for reward vs risk vs time spent might be a pita though :p

3. getting sold out

Been there, done that. Yes, players pays the bills, but we are not the freaking product.

Well, I quit EQ2 because SOE moved to sell me and fellow Europeans off to a third party that practically none of us wanted to be aligned with due to several factors, one of them being "why the hell" in the first place. Took SOE more than half a year to get back to players with the latest result of that deal, but I doubt my trust in SOE can be restored at this point. SOE does innovation better than most game developers I have seen, and games like vanguard and eq2 has enough difference in features and content to most fantasy MMOs to stand out as unique, but the deal with Prosieben and how it was handled makes me highly distrustful of SOE executive decisions pertaining their games.

So I am not going there again. My sub still runs until June next year though, so I log on to move furniture on rare occasions :alien:
  19. Opi

Opi New Cupcake

Some things that I think ruins the game:
    -Going pay to win
    -No endgame content
    -No open world pvp
    -Lack of updates
    -Lack of communication - the devs with the players

I think it would be nice if someone could extract all different peoples answers into one posts, hopefully the W* devs will read it and understand what to do/what not to do :up:
  20. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

A lot of the answers are fairly similar. My top three have already been posted here for example! I don't think a single game has ever failed so bad as to put more than one or two of these killers into it...