1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Your Top 3 Game Savers!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by LittleIcebreaker, Nov 18, 2012.

1. LittleIcebreaker

LittleIcebreaker Cupcake

Yeah I'm back again!

So my last thread may be a little on the negative side. I wanted to add this thread to highlight a few top favorite features in an MMO. Now, when I say favorite I don't mean 'hey this was cool,' I mean "OMGAH SUPER TURBO PLUS I GOTTA GO BACK SO I CAN DO THIS!!" Woo! So that may be a tinsy over the top... >.>

Basically, what were the top 3 (or 5 or 10 or however many you'd like to post!) features in an MMO that wrangled you back in when all was said and done?

Here are my top 3 Game Savers!

1. Unique Gameplay / Features:

Love it, or hate it; unique gameplay is such a sure fire way to pull me back into a game. My top examples are FFXI, Eve-Online, Tera / DC Universe's combat, and Rift's Rifts. Although many people despised the forced party play, and challenge in FFXI; these two main features continued to pull me back to the game even after years of discontinued play. Not only did these features create such a unique community (since everyone knew how dagnabit hard everything was in that game), these features also promoted a sense of respect among players. Nothing was handed to you in FFXI, and you were all in the thick of it together. You even had to accumulate special items so you could level past the later levels (called genkai). Just as polarizing as FFXI's challenging party play was you also had to go hard or go home with Eve Online's sandbox system. Probably one of the most innovative, and effective features I've seen in MMO's today; this unique feature continues to call me back to those dark lonely spaces of the Eve universe.

Now obviously these features can create a severe rift among players, but they can also create cult classics (like Minecraft... which is one HUGE cult!). I've seen unique game features create a strong sense of loyalty, and community among their members as well.

2. Lord of the Ring Online's in game Music System

Now I understand this could possibly be posted underneath unique gameplay, but I just love this one feature so much I want to give a whole spot on my list for it! In Lord of the Ring online they have a system where you can play music in the game! (Here's an example! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdPDktHGzCU&feature=relmfu)

This may sound silly, but for some reason even after I go on a 6 month - 1 year hiatus I will still come back to this game just to have my little hobbit belt out the Evangalion anime theme song!

3. Rest and Relaxation

Whether the game is ugly, addicted to gear treadmill, low population, hard, easy, or I've been away for 2 expansions; if the MMO allowed me a place to rest my head you can probably find me somewhere in there! Whether or not others may find the system 'grindy,' I tend to enjoy relaxing gameplay where I can zone out while enjoying some music in the background. My prime example of this was flying around Northrend in WoW while farming ore, and herbs. Personally, an MMO to me includes many things; fun, hobby, challenge, motivation, but first and foremost it must offer gameplay where I can just relax!

So these are my top 3 game savers!

How about your top 3 game savers, and possible favorite MMO features you'd like to find in the upcoming hit Wildstar? ^^

Thanks for reading!
  2. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

1. A reason to not play solo

Not just at end-game for ph4t l3wtz, or once every 5 levels for that single instance in the zone. Fill the game with instances that can scale to group size and difficulty. Make zones where there is a good string of missions that players can answer a LFG call and complete them all together. Why? Because it's fun. There's no need to hinder solo players, just make it convenient for groups of 2+ to stay together.

2. A reason to play as team

Not a collection of solo players pew-pewing everything. Support classes should want DPSers to take out the trash because it would take too long without them, and DPSers should want support classes to keep them standing in case the boss sneezes on them whilst they're clearing the trash. But don't stop there! You can't always get an ideal team composition, so multiple supports classes could organise their de/buffs and CC for maximum efficiency, and DPSers could co-ordinate their alpha strikes to take out the boss.

3. Let high and low levels play together

People level at different speeds, but still want to play with their friends. A level 50 should be able to fight as a (strong) level 5 to help out a friend's new alt, or if the group so desires, they could invite the level 5 to fight as a (weak) level 50.
  3. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

The mentoring system in EQ2 is pretty good. It is overpowered for the one mentoring down, but that is a matter of balance. EQ2 allows you to mentor down to the level of a group member, giving you an xp penalty based on how far you mentor down. EQ2 also allows you to go talk with an npc to mentor down to a specific lvl to finish areas/quest hubs solo at the appropriate level.

I would find it interesting to see a list of existing features/content, that one or more finds must-haves for future games either at release or as patch modules.
  4. Duckdee

Duckdee Cupcake-About-Town

City of Heroes gave no xp, but double money. Didn't have that NPC, though, that sounds good.
  5. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Interesting World

I want a game where the world feels alive. When I enter an area I want each area to be somewhat unique from the last. Give me a reason to kill the things I am killing in an interesting way. Deliver the story through dialogue that I do not have to read. When I reach endgame I want to feel as though the story is continuing after the leveling process. I want to feel as if killing the last boss of a raid or whatever matters, and the world was impacted in a positive or negative way.

Group Content PvE

When I am looking at group content in PVE I want their to be some sort of strategy. I like holy trinity of tank, heals, and dps. While, it might be a pain to form groups it allows groups to act as if they are working together. When everyone is self-reliant I feel as though I can do little to help my group members, and the only reason I am in group is because the monster has too much hp or damage to solo. With group roles it allows group dynamics to become interesting. I big raids. Raiding 40mans back in WoW were some of the most enjoyable moments of my online gaming. That rush when 40 people get together to kill that boss that you have been working on for a few weeks was pretty insane.

Crafting

I like crafting, whether gathering mats or making the items. I really enjoyed the GW2 crafting system of making the components then making the item. It allowed crafters to have items that not everyone had at first.
  6. Malisent

Malisent Cupcake-About-Town

Exploration
    So many game worlds now have your quest hub, you follow the quest lines down an obvious path, and exploring the world without following that path has no real value. SWTOR is a good example, as it has this amazing scenery from homes to abandoned vehicles.. but they were always empty or just had the monsters of the area. Finding unmarked quests, rare monsters or treasures due to exploring really makes the world more interesting.

Raiding
    My first MMO was Asheron's Call and I organized the Queen's Quest over and over for my guild.. little did I know that was my introduction to what would later become raiding. I love working together with a team and coordinating to achieve a goal. Bonus if it is more complex than banging at a boss and requires some sort of teamwork to prepare for the dungeon.

Choice
    I've mentioned in some other threads that I recently picked up Rift, and I love the number of options I have for things to do: Zone events, IAs, Conquest, Onslaughts, Crafting quests/rifts.. and that's before considering the typical dungeons, raids, achievements, pvp, and general q1uesting seen in most AAA MMOs. I really like the idea that anytime I log in, I can choose to do something completely different, all of which is strengthening my main character (thanks to the PA system). Many MMOs have left me feeling my only choices are to repeat dailies, pvp and raid. I like having a lot of choice in end game activities for my non-raid nights.
    Emmerich likes this.
  7. Amlin

Amlin Cupcake

Progression, Progression, Progression, without that grind I have never been able to stay in a game that lacked it. Partly because it's more than just about improving your own character, it's about showing off to other players. When you cut through all the BS and long-winded justifications, the heart of the matter is it's all about ego. Games that play to that competitive spirit are fun and I love it.
    Kurik Lein likes this.
  8. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

1. Aesthetic customization. Lots of slider options, colors, and DYE SYSTEM is very important for me.

2. Common Updates. Even if it is something minuscule compared to an expansion, I like knowing there will be some form of update in a week or two.

3. Fun gameplay. If a game isn't fun, why make it? Grinding hurts, but it's inevitable in MMOs, so at least make it as painless as possible.
    Kurik Lein and Malisent like this.
  9. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

I love PvE, PvP, customization and so forth but for me it all depends on the world and the players around me.

1. Community, similar to the other thread this can make or break a game for me. Having a good group of people to play with is always nice as well as developer interaction in-game or on the forums.

2. Lore, It's hard for me to play a game where I don't believe in the setting or the characters. A game with interesting lore provides that urge for me to go out and explore every nook and cranny.

3. Aesthetics and Ambience, good music and environments really strike a chord with me in games. :)