1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Zam vs. Wildstarfans vs. Ign Wildstar Articles

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Celebrochan, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celebrochan

Celebrochan Cupcake

So I read this article
    http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=33270&mid=1395248288295473747&p=1#msg1395248288295473747

and this article
    http://www.wildstarfans.net/2013/10/dev-explains-wildstars-three-gear.html

And they made me go "Wow... I am one of those 60%" and then makes me go "By listings Small Group, Raid and PvP in one group and calling them all progression paths imply that they are equal in some way?"

How is gear designed for soloing better for soloing than the other gear? Does it have higher base stats because it is the same item level without needing to invest in the Raid or PVP stats? or something else?

Neither of the articles explained it in a way that answers the question in a meaningful way. Is the article saying that soloing is easier than PVP or Raiding and the solo gear will be "good enough" for soloing, but raiders and pvpers can do the solo content as well as someone who invested the time to try and get "good" at soloing. Or as its own progression path will solo/small groupers be able to specialize in what they do?"

Reading some of the other articles put out
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/12/wildstaras-end-game-is-built-to-last
    it makes it sound as though solo>Dungeons and Adventures>20 man raids>40 man raids and that seems to directly conflict with what is written in the first two articles? Help?

Please actually read the articles before posting.
  2. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

3. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

The itemization towards secondary stats that are more useful in raids is less useful in solo content. I forget some of them off the top of my head, but you'll do better with straight assault power on your soloing gear than something like crit reduction or deflection(depending on your spec of course). This remains to be seen going forward with how future tiers may spiral out of control though and how expansions may or may not factor in with power creep.

Because we didn't see any solo progression instances to compare to raiding in testing, a lot of this is up-in-the-air and obviously may change in the months after launch. Solo classic wow was super-disappointing, to say the least.
    Extatica likes this.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

In raiding you'll see more ''strikethrough rating'', ''deflect rating'', ''crit'' etc. etc.

While indeed in solo you'll see higher base stats.

While in PvP you'll see the addition of PvP stats.
    Kataryna likes this.
  5. Celebrochan

Celebrochan Cupcake

6. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

the overall discussion was similar and for the sake of organization could have been in that thread instead of starting a new one. Although I feel like some threads lose their momentum and relevance after a certain number of pages, age, and lack of activity. Don't get too ruffled over it.
  7. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

It's not going to matter much unless you're a hardcore min maxer.
    The 70% effectiveness of having the wrong (but still level appropriate) gear goes something like this:
    In raids you'll see more strikethrough on gear because mobs have a higher deflect, you'll see more deflect because they have higher strikethrough, etc. So if you're doing solo content in raid gear you'll be a little less effective than a fully geared toon because you'll be defected and crit on a little bit more often.
    Conversely, if you get fully raid geared and do some Elder Game solo content (eg: story stuff) you won't see mobs with that higher defect and crit ratings, meaning your raid gear (which slightly lowers your base stats of the gear to add those features) slightly increases your time to kill due to those slightly lower base stats.
    That's the basic idea.
    But the differences are going to be extremely minor until you get fully geared for the content that you're doing. Honestly, unless you're in a hardcore raiding guild and are also a min maxer, it won't make that much difference until quite a bit of time passes.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Strikethrough feels a lot like Hit/expertise in WoW, Only its rolled into one unified stat instead of the stupidity of melee classes having one and ranged having another that do the same basic thing.
  9. gabers1

gabers1 Cupcake-About-Town

What is your primary concern(s) stemming from these articles and please feel free to phrase it in a question type format.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Well we've already answered your first questions about what the difference is. But now let's answer why this article states:
    They say this because before you even enter a dungeon you've already ''picked up'' some solo gear (from questing etc.).

Do you really think you can even join a dungeon without gear at all?

No your first stepping stone will always be quest gear, then you go towards the adventure/dungeons > Heroics > 20 man > 40 man.

However!!!! This does not mean that ALL solo gear will be less then the normal dungeon gear. I'm sure there are some harder quests that give you solo gear that is either as good as or better then dungeon gear.

But this is just your ''normal'' gear progression.
  11. Voison

Voison Moderator • Foxy Cupcake

<Mod Tail>
    Closing thread... We already have a thread for this...
    </Mod Tail>
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.