1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

ZAM's Wildstar Engine Interview

Discussion in 'WildStar News' started by Yakzan, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Yakzan

Yakzan "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gareth "Gazimoff" Harmer of ZAM talked with Lead Software Engineer Steve Moret of Carbine for some lovely insight into what went into making the game engine that Wildstar uses. With fun stories and technobabble to please both the tech-savvy and the not so much, do delve into the realm of what makes a game engine tick.
    ( Read More )
    Alverad, SirRobin, Rai and 1 other person like this.
  2. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

Awesome read, especially if you're the kind of person who loves to peek under the hood. I'm particularly excited to see the graphics engine in action, after hearing his description. Also, his explanation for the team's decision not to go with an "off the shelf" engine for WildStar = wicked insight.
  3. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Indeed, these behind the scenes and under the hood peaks have been great reads.
  4. Laura

Laura Cupcake

I love that they are taking time to educate the community. This not only enhances the feedback and suggestions they will receive from players throughout the beta and launch de-bugging process, but encourages further player investment in the game. Carbine has made some really savvy decisions during this pre-launch process!
  5. gyves

gyves Cupcake

This is perhaps the most important thing stated within the interview. It gives us a look into the speed of the quickest telegraphed attacks.
  6. sendlor

sendlor Cupcake-About-Town

Finally some news! I've been waiting for some for so long now :D!
  7. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

Ahhh delicious info !
  8. Feliun

Feliun Cupcake

"there may even be an unofficial OpenGL port in the works" Possible Linux support in the future? Exciting if true?? That will make a lot of people happy, if more mainstream people look at OpenGL and Linux support now Valve is pushing in there.
  9. Patrician

Patrician "That" Cupcake

Great article as always, and SUPER techy. I especially liked Steve Moret's favorite thing about the game engine. I agree, panning that camera that way is SO much more efficient and succinct, how did people ever write code the other way?? ;)

And the questions Gazimoff asked were spot on the best possible for the subject. I almost wish he could do an article interview on every single lead developer they have there... >.>
  10. Gazimoff

Gazimoff Cupcake-About-Town

Really glad that you're all loving the article - Steve Moret provided some fantastic answers and excellent insight.

My gut feeling is that we're more likely to see Mac with OpenGL, but who knows! :)
  11. Nightsong

Nightsong Cupcake-About-Town

Love the behind the scenes interviews were we get to learn what makes WildStar tick.

You realize with the race/class lead quite a bit of the interview would be redacted...? :p
  12. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Very interesting read I would have loved to hear more stories of what went wrong and how they fixed it, either from their own game or examples from his time working on other games, I find those kinds of stories extremely interesting to read, especially when you get those “ohh if we had only known this, we would have done this and this differently”.

For anyone else enjoying these kind of read I highly recommend reading Patrick Wyatt's blog (Patrick wyatt a former Blizzard employee who worked on everything from rock and roll racing to World of warcraft before switching to ArenaNet working on guild wars) about how they made starcraft and alot of the troubles they had, both company wise and programing wise.
    http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/tough-times-on-the-road-to-starcraft

Warning it's a bit long but absolutely worth it!
    Gazimoff likes this.
  13. Makost0rM

Makost0rM New Cupcake

While I didn't get some of the MMO tech jargon here, it's nice to know that this is a truly in-house engine.

I'm so done with Hero. Even TESO has that vaguely vaseliney SWTOR look to it. That's like the best way I can describe it. The worlds never look natural or interesting.
  14. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Great read I found this quote interesting..

Is he saying WildStar has been in development for almost 8 years?!
  15. Pyaray

Pyaray Carbine Studios

Steve didn't work on World of Warcraft, you're confusing him with my background. While Steve has many titles to his credit, that's not one of them. I'll leave it to him to offer up his history if he desires.
  16. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

Very cool, I'm still hoping Steve does a podcast one day. :p
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  17. aiuradun

aiuradun Cupcake-About-Town

Ahh my bad, have edited.
  18. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

Nice article - helps us laymen appreciate the sheer scale of what goes into making our new online homes :D (plus insight into some of the design considerations).
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  19. Krippi

Krippi New Cupcake

Great read thanks for sharing. Hard work like this should pay off.
  20. akirasugoineko

akirasugoineko New Cupcake

I am both facinated by hardware and programming and have some experience in both. Its very interesting reading about how they build the game. They seem to really think stuff thru . I feel very positiv to how the game will run . Yay!