1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Zone Dilemma

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by TyroneBiggims, Mar 25, 2014.

1. TyroneBiggims

TyroneBiggims New Cupcake

With the release of wildstar becoming closer and closer, carbine is on crunch time. That being said they have zero time for mistakes this go around. I'm hoping for a complete revamp of the arks hip tutorial (dommie tutorial especially) in order to hook players into the game. If they don't do something new players to the game are going to be bored instantly. Also, this zone boredom is seeping through more cracks in the game, most notably the infamous zone of whitevale. Whitevale to me is a long drawn out story arch with the ikthians playing god, and the races are throwing their beliefs and ideas out of the window (prime example the aurin using machines to terraform the land into another forest, if I wanted another forest I would have went to f*****g Celestion or in another 8 drawn out levels go to wilderrun ) and that's my main gripe with whitevale everything is long and drawn out way past it's expiration date, and realistically you can't even skip whitevale because questing gives the most XP (unless your willing to grind out the same 2 dungeons and BGs for 8 levels) So I'm really hoping that carbine is planning on making alternative zones for lack of a better term and I hope they get it together before launch.
  2. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

The story isn't a directed experience. That is not going to change any time soon.
  3. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Ehm you do realize you don't see the Ikthians until level 24? And even then they are not really that relevant until you find the huge base controlling the Focus of Water? Infact most of the time spent in Whitevale is pretty much to establish settlements for both factions and too attempt to return it into the green forest it once was, if anything the Ikthians were just a follow up into a bigger questline .

I don't quite understand your complaint about the early tutorial zones, they are tutorials nothing more nothing less. Why do you need to find instant engagement on tutorials?

And as for your complaints about races ''throwing out there beliefs''...you do realize pratically all the Aurin have the same motivation? They want to retake Arboria, or at the very least create a smaller version of it. It is no real surprise that they attempted to use terraformers to make more forests, that is were they thrived before the dominion attacked them.
    Domi Dayglow and Kataryna like this.
  4. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

I :inlove:'d Whitevale - especially the Dominion Prison with the Exiles to kill AND seeing LOPPS!!! OMG LOPPS!!! :p though the prison part might just be because the Dominion Theme Song sounds fricken AWESOME there - it really does sound like it's being blasted through the Loud Speakers over a huge open area...
  5. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

If I remember right, I believe it was said that when the game launches and you run one character through the arkships youc an skip that tutorial with all future characters.
  6. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

its funny to see ppl with no concept of time blabbering on, on the interwebz.

unless they started last year, there's no way they are going to "redesign" the arkships by release.

tutorial map is tutorial map, and I actually enjoyed it the first time I went through it. sure its boring as hell now that I can clear it in 10 mins or w/e .. but I found it quite enjoyable the first time through.

also, this word dilemma, i do not think it means what you think it means. there is no dilemma surrounding the tutorial zones as that would imply that there was a choice between the tutorial zones .. and something else.
  7. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Like Domi said, likely you'd be able to skip the tutorials after running once through. To me, tutorials are a necessary evil, because without it there can just be too much confusion in a new game. Now, many of us can figure things out gradually, but often it's faster to learn those things with tutorials, and also there are always new mmo players who have absolutely no idea what they're doing who really needs a guidance by the hand. In my experience, no tutorials in the history of mmos have been "more engaging" or even "equally engaging" compared to the rest of the game, that's unfortunate but it is simply what happens. The best option there is, is to skip it once you know your buttons and your basic lore.

Specifically though, why would you hate on the Dominion tutorial? I thought it did a good job. In terms of teaching you the buttons and paths it surely did, lore wise it gave a pretty good sense of rigid internal control and made the emperor seem so warm and noble in comparison. After the tutorial, I was ready to do the emperor's bidding! (And Artemis Zin, I'd like to ally with a celebrity!)

Sometimes the quests feel long, I do remember a few quests that I kept on killing things. But those are really minor tweaks I think, at this point their priority is probably nowhere near that. They'd first need to optimize, get rid of all performance problems and lag issues, then fix content-trivializing bugs, then fix game-play or combat bugs, then maybe fix appearance/customization/quest bugs, I don't think they'd have time now for big revamps.

You might have a good point, it depends on how many people feel like you did. But, it's just not the time to tackle it now. If they'd change it, it'd probably be a patch after launch, other things are way more important at this stage...
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. ImpactHound

ImpactHound Cupcake-About-Town

good post overall, but it's worth pointing out that Whitevale was roughly the same climate as Galeras before the Eldan implemented the Hydris protocols warping the weather, which endangers the environment with wild climate changes; the Aurin are interested in preserving trees that are close to 1000 years old and continuing tree growth rather than outright terraforming.
  9. t209

t209 Cupcake

There's some gripe on tutorial too, especially the lore part. The lore stated that Exiles got there first and already constructed settlements and yet both Arkship (Dominion and Exiles) arrived at the same time.
    And there's complaint on how shallow Dead Eye's recent tragic story was unless
    Spoiler:There's time travel, revived as a banshee, or actually alive and had to rescue her if you return to Northern Wilds. I mean I personally felt that Badass with sad story was too clinche, even Animal Man managed to be badass in first issues despite the lack of tragedy.
  10. Domi Dayglow

Honestly that kind of confused me too. It would make logical sense to say that Exile landed first and established settlements. Then the Dominion came. Then to say that both Arkships still occasionally come back into orbit to drop off new settlers (in other words, new players and new characters). The Exile arkship can't just hang around because they are too big of a target for the Dominion. The Dominion arkship still has to go back and forth to pickup new settlers.
  11. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

That might be a case of bad narrative, if you look into the lore logs you will find that the Exiles found Nexus first and where already exploring it when the Dominion followed there ship to Nexus.

Although it does not make it clear it can already be assumed that you are part of new settlers considering Thayd, Illum, and several small settlements were already established by the time you arrived on Nexus (I seriously doubt that Grimholde could of fallen into ruin that fast). Infact in the case of the Northen Wilds that was VERY likely a ship full of human settlers heading to Thayd and that the Eldan Weather Machine knocked them offcourse.
  12. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

An Exile re-discovered Nexus something like 7 years ago. Then the race was on. Both sides began sending ships as soon as they could. The Ark Ships took time to prep and get going in that direction. Nexus is kinda a ways out there, beyond the Rim of mapped space in the galaxy. Smaller expeditionary and military forces have been arriving for some time to pave the way for the Ark Ships.

(I loves me some graphics: click to enlarge))
    [​IMG]
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. t209

t209 Cupcake

What about the smaller ships from Exiles fleet? I mean there are instances when small outposts existed before major colonization began.
  14. Fishsticks

Fishsticks Cupcake-About-Town

I think it's pretty valid to say the first parts of the game (any game really) should be engaging, as otherwise people are going to be disinclined to continue playing. Every MMO teaches you the basics of the game in the first few levels, so some monotony is probably required, but just because these parts of the game function as the tutorial doesn't mean they have to be painfully awful.

I like the game, don't get me wrong, but the starting levels might be the worst I've ever played in an MMO. (granted I didn't play the ESO beta, I heard those were rough too)
    Bnol likes this.
  15. Domi Dayglow

I think Wildstar tried to break that up alittle with humor. Lollilopp Caterpillars.
  16. RavenWind

RavenWind Well-Known Cupcake

Well to quote myself
    "Smaller expeditionary and military forces have been arriving for some time to pave the way for the Ark Ships."
    I'm not sure I can explain any more clearly.
    Kataryna likes this.
  17. TyroneBiggims

Knowing carbine hopefully they would have installed failsafes for certain zones especially in the middle game because eventually after launch people are going to get tired of licking LSD Lollilops in whitevale and floating around in farside. All I'm saying is give more options as far as leveling, hopefully these zones that were data mined are leveling zones and not endgame. And as far as the tutorials I'm not expecting carbine to start from scratch , just do some freshening up to make it more ingageing.
  18. TyroneBiggims

Overall it agree with you, carbine already has a lot on their plate. However if you can't get anybody through the front door of the restaurant and feed them a subpar appetizer what makes you think they'll stay for dessert? I love how this thread became a conversation about food lol
  19. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

prey tell, what do you know about Carbine that leads you to believe that they have a bunch of alternate leveling zones tucked away just in case?

no one has ever done that. I cant even think of an mmo that added a mid level zone to their game, ever, let alone pre-created zones, just in case.

datamined levels?
  20. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I still don't understand this attitude though that the early level zones have to catch your attention with the quests....

The only MMOs that I have EVER seen do that is GW2 with the Public event in the tutorial and superhero/supervillian sub genre (City of Heroes/Villians, Champions Online, and DC universe) with the tutorial missions (or in Champions case, a crisis zone).

Most fantasy or sci-fi MMOs that I have seen that have tried this GW2 included have had other aspects of the game severly lacking (In GW2's case the game had a serious lack of end-game content after launch, Orre was a mess and so were the dungeons. SWTOR had the voice acted quests that they spended tons of money on while other parts of the game such as combat and end-game were lacking) otherwise if they included everything.

Infact the only MMO that I have seen pull this off recently of course is WoW wih there first zone revamps, and that is not a good example in the first place as they have 2 expansions of content before they did that.