1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Zone/Region borders

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pixie, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I was searching around a bit and I can't seem to find much info about it, so I'm sorry if it's already posted somewhere...

My boyfriend was reading a bit about Wildstar today, and he asked me if I knew anything about how the zone borders work, and I couldn't really give him any real answer.

Do we know anything about this? Will there be geographic hinders such as mountains and oceans? Invisible walls? Not-so-invisible fences (think Firefall)? or perhaps a mixture of all those?

Or will there be seamless "borders" that simply shows a different map when you click your map button?

And what do you prefer?

Do we know anything about whether or not entering a new zone means a loading screen? We know you can fall through the ground to enter cave systems, and they don't seem to be requiring loading screens so I would guess loading screens are either just for continents or things like island zones and dungeons, but I really don't remember reading much about this apart from people stating their opinions...
  2. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

No loading screen between zones , and since the game is built with flying at endgame , I would assume that there wont be too many invisible walls.
  3. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I've been assuming the same, but I still wonder if there will be things like fatigue when you swim too far out, mountain chains to border zones etc...
  4. Agent Drew

Agent Drew Cupcake-About-Town

One would assume. You can only make a game so big so there has to be limits somewhere. I know I'd rather see a fatigue bar pop up on my screen than an invisible wall block me. Those just kinda ruin the experience a bit and remind you too much that it's a video game.
  5. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah invisible walls are quite off-putting when poorly executed, but I must admit the worst are actually visible walls like "you can't go in here cause you're the wrong class" instance openings etc.

On the other hand, if you make one giant zone like in Defiance, that can seem really small and unsatisfying too, even if some games with one giant zone have even more acreage than some games with many zones...
  6. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

From what they've said zones on individual continents will be continuous much like world of warcraft. There may be some isolated zones that require a load screen to visit, the only one I know of was an asteroid based zone in the level 40 range that they gave fans a demo of at PAX East. You'll take a shuttle there and a shuttle back.
  7. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Invisible walls between regions kills a game for me.
    Ofcourse there should be some of them in the game to make sure you can't go too high or other things, like endlessly trying to cross an ocean or something like those things.

I'd prefer the way WoW handled it, just with oceans, mountains and higher level mobs :D Trust me that those mobs can be quite the argument to not go to an area yet ;)
    Khrusky likes this.
  8. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

This has been something that honestly has worried me about Wildstar. In every video I see whenever they are in a zone you can usually see in the distance (usually just a tall, unpassable mountain) that limits the zone for you. When I was watching their PAX East demo video pretty much every zone felt "linear". Much of them felt contained and didn't seem to flow from zone to zone seemlessly.

With that said I have 110% not seen enough of the game to make such a call, but from what I've seen it kinda worries me. Deradune seemed fairly open but it may have been covered by borders as well that I'm just not remembering. I feel WoW did a great job where their zones felt as though they seemlessly merged into one another. Hope Wildstar does the same!
  9. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

Try rewatching the videos an dont pay attention too the combat, the zones feel much less linear then in WoW, Also these mountains are probably all (or nearly) climbable with explorable content, Nexus is an alien world, and they want it to feel like such, WoW had good map design for a western fantasy. But i like the exaggerations in W*
  10. Mel

Mel Cupcake-About-Town

LOTRO did a very good job making the world feel open and there was no flying mounts there!
  11. cecilandblues

cecilandblues Cupcake

I'm usually pretty forgiving about zone separation methods. City of Heroes had the War-Walls as a lore reason for zone walls. The world of Guild Wars 2 seems to exist in a series of mountain basins. Warcraft has these hilarious biome changes.

Every game has its tricks, I try not to let it bother me too much and focus on the zone design and transitions within.
  12. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

As long as I can mountain climb my way from zone-to-zone, I'll be happy. Truly continuous zones are nearly impossible if you want a decently sized map, and most MMOs with seemingly continuous zones are just faking you out by only loading what you can immediately see.

There's another way to deal with it, by creating a "transition" area as you pass from one zone to the next, where you can move through it but it is actually a loading screen. This gives you the benefit of less resource strain (which means bigger, more detailed zones!), though some people have an automatic "ick" reaction to loading screens of any type.

Honestly, though, I just don't want to be filtered through narrow passageways when traveling from one zone to the next. I want to be able to off-road it!
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I hope it isn't just follow a road until you hit level cap like some games.
  14. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

I really hate games where the zones are just canyon mazes and, like Sabre said, a road you follow until you hit level cap.... but I'm pretty sure Wildstar will have big, open zones which stretch out far enough that when you're in it, it won't bother you. How you get to the next zone, and how the borders of the zone work, could be different though...
  15. Crow

Crow Cupcake

It'll be more like WoW with seamless transitions / bubble around you that gets loaded. As long as it's nothing like SWTOR's corridor nightmare it's gonna be fine... :)
  16. Syberchip

Syberchip Cupcake

I bet borders will be terrain based like WoW, which I think is cool.
  17. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

This video answers some questions here

The dev just flies up to the next zone at 19:20, so not entirely sure how the normal route goes ha. Maps don't seem very linear at all, all sorts of activities to do. I feel like if you do them all, then you'll be well pass the lvl of that area. Flies into a "sub-zone" at 21:50 too.
  18. Ninereeds

Ninereeds Cupcake-About-Town

While I'm sure there will be sections of Nexus that are undiscovered on the onset for us to find in the inevitable expansions I would love for an MMO to actually behave as a realistic planet and just loop around like in the real world. Basically if I keep flying due East I would eventually circumvent (is that the right word? Circumnavigate? I don't know, I need coffee) go around the world and end up back where I started.
  19. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

You should have seen breeland in beta. It was the definition of constrained funnel. Player feedback made it the wide open zone it is today.
  20. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

There don't seem to be borders where zone A connects to zone B, but even so there will be zones that do not have other zones along one or more sides, so there need to be zone boundaries of some kind.

I definitely want zero invisible walls, those suck.They can have invisible walls, but only as an emergency measure, well behind other tools so that if everything works right, players would never hit the invisible walls, but just in case they glitch past the primary defenses, invisible walls.

For the ground, physical barriers work fine, mountains and physical walls that you can't pass.

If there's open water as a boundary, have the "turn back" message, followed by either kicking you backwards or teleporting you to the shore, or something along those lines.

For flight, they can border the zones with loftite crystals, that knock flying vehicles to the ground (after fair warning), or they can border them with anti-aircraft guns that will shoot you down (again, with fair warning).

They can also use visible forcefields, but I think these should be a last resort.